Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frame grounding points...

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
Just thought I'd post this to show where there are two ground points for the C4s in the engine compartment you should be aware of.
Go here for more pictures: Project: engine

The one 10mm screw is obviously in sight in the picture, but the other is to the right and partially hidden by the red wire. Click the image to enlarge it.

Frame ground points

Ken, where exactly is that grounding point you show in your picture? In the engine compartment I know, but where exactly? My dash lights have been acting strange lately, and if I was a betting man, I'd put money on the problem being a bad ground somewhere. Thanks, Greg

Greg, those two screws are located on the frame just the other side of the battery box. If you pull your battery, you should be able to spot them under the wiring harnesses snaking through the area. Be sure to have a long-handled magnetic pick-up device available to find the screw and/or washer when you drop them. ;)

Also ya gotta remember that these are only 2 of what, about 30? grounding points for the Corvette. I guess you can never have too many when it comes to fiberglass, eh? :L

_Ken

Oh yeah, the ground wire running from the negative battery post, and the wire running from the bellhousing are just long enough to reach their screw holes with maybe an inch or so to spare, so when you try to clean the contact points, it can get a little close in there. :eyerole

Frame ground

Ken, thanks man! I thought they might be behind the battery. I was looking at it (the Vette) this morning and didn't see anything near the motor or its mounts, so I figured it must be behind the battery. As you can tell, I haven't done much to the car since I bought it. The coil and pick-up coil went out on it, so I changed those, plus plugs and plug wires and distributor cap, but other than that, man its been a good car so far!! The previous owner put a lot of $$ in it. I just came along at the right time. He was splitting from his wife, needed money, and bam, there I was...right place, right time.... O.K., enough gab. Again Ken, thanks! You know, this Corvette Action Center site is really cool!! Much thanks to you guys too!! :w Keep up the good work CAC! Greg-in-bama

Re: Frame ground

Greg-in-Bama said:
The previous owner put a lot of $$ in it. I just came along at the right time. He was splitting from his wife, needed money, and bam, there I was...right place, right time...

It's a shame, but sometimes one person's misfortunes are beneficial to someone else. Good for you Greg! :upthumbs

_Ken

Frame ground

Ken that's true, but you should see his F350 Quad-cab truck and his blown 454 speedboat!!! I doubt he's really missing that car!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom