Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frame replacement

• Thread starter Thread starter '63split
  • Start date Start date

'63split

Hello,

My '63 frame is showing it's age. It is scaling and I'm concerned that the scaling is weaking the frame so I'm planning on looking for a replacement frame. I would like to find a 1963 frame so that everything will connect up exactly.

Does anyone know of a good source or sources for frames?

Thanks,
Mike

The back half of my 64 frame was severely rusted, so I went to Vette Products of Michigan (http://www.vetteproducts.net/) and they built me a jig welded back half ($2149). They sell complete frames as well ($4295). I think they are the only vendor out there that builds new frames on the factory jigs. Everyone else that sells new frames gets them from these guys.
For a used frame try Crane's Corvette(http://www.cranescorvette.com/chassis.htm). Thsy usually have a pretty good selection.

Subfixer said:
The back half of my 64 frame was severely rusted, so I went to Vette Products of Michigan (http://www.vetteproducts.net/) and they built me a jig welded back half ($2149). They sell complete frames as well ($4295). I think they are the only vendor out there that builds new frames on the factory jigs. Everyone else that sells new frames gets them from these guys.
For a used frame try Crane's Corvette(http://www.cranescorvette.com/chassis.htm). Thsy usually have a pretty good selection.
Thanks for the info. I'll be at Carlisle next month and I'll see what I can find. I'll look at Vetteproducts frames too. Did you weld the back half of the frame to the front half? The back half of my frame is what's rusted the most too. I guess with all the oil leaks in the front it preserved the front of the frame. I figure on building up a new frame and when ready dropping the body on.

Regards,
Mike

Everything is set up for me to start the cut/weld. I spent several days setting up a home made jig of sorts to ensure the new frame section is correctly placed when I cut the old section off. The new rear section goes just behind the transmission crossmember.
Got a lot on "honey-do's" to take care of before I get started. Once I start, I don't want any interuptions.

I hear ya!

I have a lot of home projects to do also before I can get started on the vette. I'm in the middle of tiling the 12' x 24' family room. :-(
I called Cranes frames and he said I could go one of 2 ways, I could put an original refurbuilt frame on or I could put a modified 68-82 frame on. Not much difference in price so I may go with an original 1963 frame. He has quite an inventory of other vette parts too.

Mike

I too may be in the market for a new frame or frame repairs. Do they look like the originals? I would think value of the car would be hurt if a new frame was used. There is a guy in Illinois that will repair frames using a jig for $3000-$4000. Zip products sells frames too. Kurt

Kurt,

If I decided to replace the frame I would use an original 1963 for my year car even though it's a driver and not a show quality car.

Mike

Mike, I have a driver too. I will at some point pull the body and repair the frame. D&A Corvettes in Illinois gave me a price (over phone) of $4000 to repair. I see Zip Corvettes has new frames for $3995. I would be interested in how close they are to the originals? Would replacing the frames hurt the value, even with a original replacement? The serial numbers only are read with the body off, if I remember correctly??? Kurt

all frames show their age - you sure you need to replace and not just clean up? have you had someone "professionally" look at to be sure!? just my $.02 centavos

Kurt,

The original frame in good shape is best for a car holding its value, like with any other original matching parts and or assemblies, but if the frame is in bad shape and needing replacing then an exact replacement frame wouldn't, in my opinion, decrease the value of the car. Remember, we're talking about replacing the frame with an exact frame of the same year. Say a refurbished 1963 frame for my 1963 car. You can also replace the frame with a modified '68 - '82 frame but then I would think the car would loose some value.
Hopefully, others will weigh in with their opinions too.

Mike

Zip's new frames are made by Vette products of Michigan. Cut out the middle man and go directly to the source. I can't speak for the entire frame, but the back half I got looks exactly like the half I'm replacing. Even the welds has the same spacing as my original. All mounts are in place, depressions for body clearances are correct, etc.... If they build the full frame this way, other than the missing VIN, I think you would have a hard time telling if it was new or a restored original.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom