Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frames

M

moxy

Anyone know the location of a 68 69 frame, got the body off mine and the frame looks like a quilt theres so much patch work. If I dont' find a frame I'll be selling a pile of 68 parts and a 68 #'s 427 and 4 speed.

Any help anyone can give would be appreciated

I live In Ontario near Watertown New York

Thanks

Bill

Bill, try vette products of Michigan vetteproducts@voyager.net or 248-693-9715. They sell complete frames as well as components to repair frames. The latest price sheet I have from them shows a 68 frame for manual transmission for $3,795.00. This apparently is a one year only frame, must specify coupe or convertible. I have located rust free used frames (according to the suppliers) in California and Texas, but figured by the time you took the gamble to buy something used without seeing it, and paid the freight it just wasn't worth the risk. Good luck on that vette, sounds like it could be awesome in one piece!

Steve

Bill,

Carlisle may an option as well if you can wait til August. Last year I recall seeing a shark frame sitting on a trailer in the car corral.

- Eric :w

Do your homework

I am of the understanding that there are some difference's in the front of a '68 frame not found on later shark frames. Make sure you know it will fit your body before you buy one.

Hi
I'm very positive that later than 68 frames also fit. They are just slightly modified to elimate body flex.
I know of forum members that retrofitted ( weld ) this strenghtening bits to their 68 frames.
The front , as far as I know, only has different front bumper braces, not necessarily part of the frame, as they bolt to it.
Anyway, always better to get confirmation on this.
Don't part out a 68 because of the frame, please.
Good luck. Gunther

Like Gunther says "DON'T PART OUT A '68 BECAUSE OF THE FRAME"
This topic was recently discussed in some detail on the NCRS technical forum. The following is from someone who has been there and done that.

"They will not FIT!!!!
I tried... a 71 on a 68... No fit.
The front frame horns, NOT the bolt on extensions, are different.
The 68 has extra hole on each side, to bolt the radiator Core support to.
I just got my 68 frame back from the dipper today.
I did a full resto on the 70-72 frame, droped the body...no deal.. "

You might find the thread interesting. ncrs.org Then search the technical forum for 68 frame in the last thirty days. I believe it was active around the 25 of March.
Good luck.

I just went to the NCRS forum again and It will be easier to find the thread if you search for "Frame Differences". Hope this helps.
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom