Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Air Dam on a 79?

Corvette
1979 Bright Red L-82
I have a 79 with the optional front and rear spoilers like the ones on the 78 Pace Car. I was wondering if you need the front Air Dam also when you have the spoilers? Does the front air dam bolt onto the bottom of the radiator? Thanks in advance...

Hi D, I also have a 79 with the factory pace car spoilers and the air dam was not used with them. Sounds like you are good to go.
Paul

I think the front air dam is an essential part of the cooling system because it deflects air up and into the radiator rather than letting it pass under the car. I put a new 406 motor in my 79 L82 car a couple of years ago and had cooling problems. I replaced the front air dam which had been torn off and the cooling problem was solved. The dam actually attaches to the plastic or fiberglass pieces up underneath the nose of the car. There are some pieces of metal riveted to the plastic and the dam is bolted to these. If the threads in the metal are stripped or bolts are twisted off you may have to drill out the rivets to get the metal pieces off and repair them before you can properly install the air dam. - Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom