Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front brake rattles ??

Corvette-Pilot

Corvette
1994 Black Rose Coupe
I have noticed when driving on these lovely New England roads, pot hole, frost heaves, ect.... that there is a rattleing noise coming from the front.

I finally realized when going around bumpy corners that it didn't happen when braking. I have since tested this theory on straight bumpy road and light break pressure. Sure enough it stopped.

Last summer the GM dealer did all 4 brakes so ???
Sounds like the caliper is floating so it bounces around and rattles.

Does this happen to any of you guys?
I haven't looked to deep into this yet is there something I should look for?

Thanks

Read my current Post!!!

Hi

There is a rattle in the front of my vette that is driving me crazy that if l do not find the rattle by next Dec, l'm going to dump it!!

The rattle seems to be coming from both sides, but when l break driving over uneven roads it seems to go away.

This means one of two things, there is a pin missing from a rotor or a suspension problem. When l brake, the force applies pressure on the front end and some how tightens up.

There is another little thing that loves to rattle. Look at the driver's side horn up front and directly behind it there is a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 black relay box (plastic of course) that slides onto a bracket that looks like a flat upside down gold iron.
You can use silicone or what l did was to use a stainless steel pressure hose clamp and put it over it. That ended that rattle.

If you would look under my hood you would laugh. If it moves, it's
wrapped with something.

Good luck.

There is one thing l must say is that the vette sure tries one's nerves.

Alan

Yup, sure is a rattle machine !
Still fun but these little noises sure can get to you at times.

I think I will take a closer look this weekend.
I want to degrease the years of crude on the front suspension anyway.

I have had the problem on my 93. Seems like the calipers themselves are the culprit. If you clean the area real nice the problem is worse. I shimmed the caliper in it's holder with some brass shims. The brake dust will build enough securing the caliper and the shims. Hey....it works! Doesn't sound like a junk pile going over bumps without the brakes applied. I HATE RATTLES!

;help

Still haven't had any luck?

I had that problem, my mechanic fix it with a brake kit that includes new pins to keep everything in place....

Finally fixed it !!

Most people mentioned something about anti-rattle clips but my Helm manual didn't even show them. Luckally I found a link to someones site with pictures of the parts.

I just wanted to share this in case others have the same problem:
http://home.earthlink.net/~olylt1/Anti_Rattle_Clips/Anti_rattle_clips.html

I found the clips at Advanced Auto Parts PN 5598A for $8. No more rattle :party:

Thanks for the help guys

I agree I had the same problem most people don't know where the anti rattle clips go....that seems to fix the problem I just did it on my 90.
The calipers with the wheels off rattle away,install the clips and it tightens them right up.
No more rattles for me.

Jason

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom