Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front bumper center Valence

Wajulia

Corvette
1981 White
I have been trying to repair the front center valance on my 81. The car was in a minor front end collision before I bought it, so I am not sure what should and should not be there. Looking at the Assembly manual, it seems that there is no bracket or support on the front (pointy end) of the valence. Mine is attached at all points (eight bolts at the back sides that connect into the bumper, and bolts across the back attached into the frame), and it still gets pushed down by airflow and rubs on the ground at higher speeds. I do not even have the black "Skirt" on it -- but that is my goal.

I have seen on pictures on the sites various brackets that look like people have modified the valance to stop the very issue I am having. Pictures Please!.

Specifically -- Is there suppose to be any supports on the pointy end of the valence, or is that thing supposed to support itself (all the attachment points are in the rear) (pictures would be a great help)

If there is no support, how do you stop it from getting pushed down, is mine just tired? They are hard to find and expensive when you do. Do the fiberglass ones work

There should be a piece of metal that comes down and hooks into the front valance to help keep it up when driving otherwise it will fold down,and rub on the roadway
Do a search and check to see if the pictures of the front are still available.if not i get a pic of mine for you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Anybody have a picture -- there is a bracket under the front of the bumper, but the accident has twisted it so much that I have no idea how to begin twisting it back. What shape is it suppose to be.

I have looked through the assembly manual a number of times and I can find no reference to that bracket. Anybody know where it is?

Assembly manual pg 558
And 559
These pics should help.

Anybody have a picture -- ...Anybody know where it is?

spoilertongue.jpg

spoilertongue2.jpg

The tongue/hook is part of the front bumper brace.
:thumb

Thank you so much. I am pretty sure that tongues is still on the car, just pushed way up. I will heat it and pull it down and pray it doesn't break.

Thanks again for helping me out.

It turns out all I have is a nub where the bracket used to be. I will have to fab and weld another one on. I will need to buy a new valance since mine is been rubbed on the road beyond recognition.
I found a used one at Carlisle last year, but the guy wanted $150 for it. I have only ever seen one on ebay and it went for about $150. Has anyone bought and used a fiberglass one from the corvette parts places? good/bad?

Last edited:
I bought another last year or 2 years ago for the same reason as you.I really did not want fiberglass because of parking lot barriers and sidewalks that rub up against it,and would break it.I'll stay with the rubber until I can't.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom