Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Coil-overs...???

LannyL81

Corvette
81 White/Cinnabar, 96 CE LT4 sil/blk
I have seen a couple of times now, C4's with coil-over shocks/springs with the transverse spring removed. Is this a popular conversion to do? Why?
Whom has the parts?

Thanks,
LannyL81

r.e coil over suspension!

LannyL81 said:
I have seen a couple of times now, C4's with coil-over shocks/springs with the transverse spring removed. Is this a popular conversion to do? Why?
Whom has the parts?

Thanks,
LannyL81

hi there lannyl81,
i am going to buy a set from "doug rippie motor sport" coil over suspsension kit!
it is going to cost $950.00 u.s dollars to suit 1991 with fx3 suspension!
here is there phone number: 0011,1,763,477,9272 and ask for "randy"
there or randy_racer@hotmail.com or www.dougrippiemotorsports.com
they come with blue coils and instructions!
infact randy sent me installtion pictures before i even brought which was very nice of him!
i highly recomend them!
thanks
glen
sxyvet
Australia

not sure about the later C4's but the are the early C4's shock mounts strong enough to support the whole front end with just coil overs? i know some have them, but is there any beefing up of the top shock mount for the added stress the coil over with out the leaf?

I expect that the current shock mounts are NOT. I also strongly suspect that the kit addresses this.

Good luck,

yeah that make sense a added brace or some thing? i have seen coilover kits from a couple of places but maybe they don't show the braces? maybe in fear some will copy or something?

:D

DSC03152.JPG

wow nice set up!!! but early C4 (84-87)are a little different the later ones. so your useing the same mounts the old shocks used. good to know!! is this vette set up for auto cross?

antiquated....shocks should be mounted with body up to reduce unsprung wt

I will begin by saying that this is the first C4 coil over that I've seen.

In looking at it a few things pop in my mind. Firstly, has there ever been a problem with the bottom shock bolts shearing off? It sure doesn't look as if that lower mount would be up to the task. Secondly I can't tell if there is a camber brace in place. If not it DEFINITELY needs one.

Even with the spring forces applied at the bottom as in the stock suspension, there is still a significant amount of upper frame horn flex. They flex toward each other.

I would be very interested in seeing more pictures and talking to people that have run this setup long term.

It looks very nice though.

Have a great day,

I've had these on for 3 years. No problem.
I'll be Auto-X and take it a few times on the road course.

My coilover setup is made by DRM. Shock have been revalved.
I've heard that Callaway cars come with coilovers.

I have a camber brace. Getting ready to install the roll cage. But in the middle of a engine swap....

It wasn't hard to install. Like I've said before in other forums. If I had to do it over I would go with QA1 setup. BTY I dont have FX3

I have more pics....

coupe89,

Thanks for answering my questions. I am very glad to hear that you have a camber brace. Is that part of the package? If not it really should be.

I can see where the lower control arm shock bolts might work out okay, but you sure wouldn't want to let them get loose. If they did get loose I would fully expect them to shear those bolts.

Did you use the brace underneath to remove the original spring or were you able to release tension with a floor jack?

Nice work,

I bought the camber brace before the coilover setup.
I used the stock nuts and bolts. I should change them out....
I check them 3-4 times a year.

The spring was easy to take out. Of course the spring was 12 years old.
Just raised the car high enought and used a jack to release tension.

:)

The coil overs have to be on 88 and up Vettes. I investigated and still want them for my 84, but I'm going to have to go with different lower control arms. I'm also concerned about the amount of room on the top brace. The one pictured appeared to have been opened up some. They are the only way to go if you want true 4 wheel independent suspension. I want them to get rid of the buckboard ride on my Corvette.

the 84 has great springs--for racing...too high rate for street.

if u want a dependable good handling vette with comfy ride,replace ur 84 springs with 'standard' springs from an 86/87 vette...especially the rear...i run my 86 z51 with a standard spring rear most of the time,throw in the z51 for the occasional autox...std rear 'pushes' just a little with z51 front,but ride is much better-n y roads are worst

i have built several race cars with c/o springs= necessary to tune suspension.
just starting construction of a mid-year clone with c4 suspension...total weight target is 2500 lb..have c/o stuff laying around but will try to use the transverse fiber first..independent with "crosstalk" is neat-lowers cg in corner without stiff anti-roll bar...will only use c/o if forced to

if u insist on c/o, find a local circle track racer...minor mods to upper shock mount should be a piece of cake for him if hes at all "in"...cheap parts too

Thanks. I have a set of 94 springs that I bought and plan on installing between Christmas and New Years. Since I installed the poly bushings it's tighter than ever, but the ride is unbearable. Still love my Vette though and any Vette is better than none at all. Those coil overs will have to wait as I don't have a grand or more sitting around to spend.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

dont think 94 front will work on 84...just change the rear tho and it should be much 'nicer' to cruise

My rear end seems to move around when I let off on the gas. I've replaced the dog bone bushings and the camber rod bushings and got a thrust angle alignment (twice). Could it be the ladder bar? Everything else seems fine. My Vette does have almost 200k miles on it though.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom