Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Coil Spring Removal

Ludigdrums

Corvette
1981 White Coupe
Can you use a regular spring compressor to remove the front springs in an '81. Or do you have to use that special tool they show in the shop manual?

Any other advise regarding the procedure would be great!

Thanks as always!

- Jeremy

when i pulled mine, i had the entire car up a foot on jack stands. i put a jack under the lower a-arm and broke the upper ball joint loose. the n lowered the a-arm releaving the spring pressure. it fell out after that. no special tool needed. just be extra carefull anytime you have a car suspended and are working with springs in compression. Brian

The the ball joint, did you hammer it, or use one of those fork tools? It doesn't mess up you alignment does it?

Thanks!

- Jeremy

I recently pulled my springs. I tried to use an internal compressor but it wouldn't work. My best method has been to have the car in the air, put a jack under the control arm, and remove the bolts holding the control arm to the crossmember. That way there's no danger of damaging the ball joint, and I think it's safer because the control arm doesn't travel through as much of an arc as you lower the jack, which opens the possibilty of the spring popping out uncontrolled. Although it can be a PITA to get the bolts started in their threads when you're putting it back together.

Ditto what 69autoXr said, but I usually wrap a chain around the spring and a-arm for extra safety.

Ludigdrums said:
The the ball joint, did you hammer it, or use one of those fork tools? It doesn't mess up you alignment does it?

Thanks!

- Jeremy
i used the hammer trick. loosen the retaining nut on the ball joint, but don't take it all the way off. then smack the side of the a-arm near the ball joint. the vibration should rattle the joint loose. note: have the jack about a 1/2 inch under the a-arm. the lower a-arm should pop loose and drop to the jack so be ready for the jump. i don't like being under the car with a jack and a spring loaded a-arm, to much can go wrong. it would be best to seperate the ball joint and lower the a-arm slowly. if you have problems getting the spring out after that, then take the retaining bolts off and remove the entire a-arm. as for alignment, it should not change unless you replace the ball joints, then only slightly if the joints are not the same brand, or not at all. good luck, Brian

AKRAY4PLAY said:
i used the hammer trick. loosen the retaining nut on the ball joint, but don't take it all the way off. then smack the side of the a-arm near the ball joint. the vibration should rattle the joint loose.
I practacally needed a sledge hammer to hit the pickle fork to get my ORIGINAL ball joint to separate. No way I would have beaten on it like that with the spring still installed. There was also NO WAY I could have gotten it out by just beating on the A arm with a hammer.

I used an internal spring compressor. It was somewhat difficult to get the correct placement/position for the hooks and it took mulitiple tries but I finnaly got it. I also wrapped a chain around the spring and lower control arm for added safety and piece of mind. As for the ball joints I tried hammering with no luck, went and got a ball joint splitter fork. Hope this helps, good luck and remember what the manual said about the energy that's stored in a compressed spring, it could ruin your day.

Ludigdrums said:

Thanks!

- Jeremy
When you replace the springs, your ride height will increase with the new springs, Hence a four wheel alignment is in your future.

wishuwerehere82 said:
When you replace the springs, your ride height will increase with the new springs, Hence a four wheel alignment is in your future.
Depending on the springs he uses, of course, will determine whether the car is higher or lower. Either way get an alignment.

The way I did mine was put it on jack stands, then the jack under the A-arm, lift on it to apply pressure to the A-arm, undo the spindle bolts and used a pickle fork to remove the ball joint. It was HELL this way, I recommend an air hammer tool or something. which I was going to get but it was cheaper to buy the pickle fork, should if got the air hammer for a few bucks more, even a cheap one is available at any home depot or lowes or harbor freights if you got them. You wont get that much use out of it, but it dose come in handy.
Then just lower the A-arm slowly after the ball joint is loose and the spring will pop right out with ease, well actually just fall out to the ground so watch your feet.

Yeah, I actually want my ride height lower....for some reason the front sits WAY too high. You can check it out at this thread: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?p=386415#post386415

Unfortunately I just had a 4 wheel alignment after I did my trailing arms, etc. They said to bring it back in 3 months so they can check it again...so, maybe they would adjust it if neccessary.

Oh, and the annoying part about this is since the current springs are too high, I don't know what I should do...cut off a coil or such, or get different springs. I know they are a few years old, and have only a couple thousand miles on them. So, they should be settled and not sitting so high. I would hate to go trial and error with the procedure you all describe!

Thanks!

- Jeremy

- Jeremy,

I would be interested in buying your present springs, if like you say they are only a couple of years old with low mileage ;)

I plan to put new springs on RARE this next winter, maybe change out the upper and lower control arms to newer style "A" framed. Check out the cost of shipping them to Modesto, CA 95350 maybe we can work something out that works for both of us ;)

My springs are original and in dire need of being replaced, well at least from my perspective :D

I'll let you know Rare81. My only thing is that I don't know why it should sit so high if they are the correct springs. Unless they have some type of spring pad to raise them up higher. I'd be afraid to buy new stock springs, only to find that it sits at the same height. But, we'll see once I take them out. I'm still deciding on what seems like the best/easiest/safest way to do this whole thing!

- Jeremy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom