Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front end rubber bushing replacement

lex luther

Corvette
1992 Polo Green 6 sp.
Looks like it is that time. Anyone used the plastic graphite replacements or greaseable replacements? I understand the the earlier versions squeaked, something I would like to avoid. Suggestions on overall front end replacement parts appreciated.

I forget which it was . A car tv program was building a chevelle and they use after market A arms with Delrin bushing which had passages for grease. Looked like a good system. If I wanted to go for a preformace suspension the delrin is what I would go for. I machine a lot of delrin and it is very tough stuff but I also know from experience that without grease it will squeek. Personally I would replace mine with OEM rubber bushing. I don't care to get any more road shock or noise.

Glenn
:w

PS Delrin is high dollar material relitive to other plastics.

I installed energy suspension polygraphite bushings more than a year ago (front and rear) and voila nary a squeak from the suspension. I'd use them again it was a simple install.

I installed energy suspension polygraphite bushings more than a year ago (front and rear) and voila nary a squeak from the suspension. I'd use them again it was a simple install.

i have the same bushings and have just started the install. do you know how to remove the old upper and lower control arm bushings?

i am attempting to install new bushings in my upper and lower control arms but i cannot figure out how to remove the old ones. can you help?

i am attempting to install new bushings in my upper and lower control arms but i cannot figure out how to remove the old ones. can you help?

Carefully ( so you don't damage the alum housing ) run a drill bit through the rubber until it all falls out. If there is a steel outer sleeve left ( can't remember ) just slit it with a hacksaw blade so it breaks free.The poly bushes are 2 pce so they just push back in.

the lower control arm bushings come out by pressing the bushing through with a large bench vice.i used a carrier bearing out of a dana 60 rear on one side and a large dia socket to press it into the bearing.it helps if you have a 2nd pair of hands to keep everything lined up in the vice...........the uppers are more difficult.you are going to have to have a press.after removing the nuts on the ends of the center bar you press the bushing on the side of the bar that has the washer on the inside first.youll use the bar itself to press the bushing out.youll have to figure out a way to protect the threads on the bar from the press.now youll have the bar out of the way.use the vice method on the other side.the upper control arm is weak so be sure you never squeez the ends togather.keep track of what end goes where also.to put the upper back togather install new bushings on the washer side and put center bar through bushings and install the nut 1.5 turns.wrap a shop rag around the bar and clamp bar in vice.now you should have the end of the control arm that needs the one piece bushing facing toward the roof.there should be enough of the center bar sticking out of the control arm that you can slide the bushing over the bar and install the washer and nut.its gonna be close with the washer and the nut.2nd hands will help.before tightening the nut to press bushing in you need to put a brace between the vice and the control arm so you dont flex the arm while tighten the nut.the bushing is going to look crazy before it finally pops into the control arm but this is by far the easyest way to do it.use lots of the goo they give you on all the bushings surfaces and youll have no sqeeks.this is a great mod,youll love.and dont forget to have the alignment checked after wards.good luck.sorry if its hard to understand.

Many like myself have found a need to remove the lip of the one pce top front poly bush in order to get it started in the A-arm hole before pressing in.

Many like myself have found a need to remove the lip of the one pce top front poly bush in order to get it started in the A-arm hole before pressing in.

ive done 2 cars with good result.me personally i dont make a habit of modifying new parts.with out a doubt the way i mentioned above will work perfectly.what will happen is at first only 2/3 of the lip will go down in the hole but if you keep tightening up the nut it will go the rest of the way without damaging the bushing.however i dont see any harm being done by taking that lip down some,but im not an engineer.:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom