Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front end shaking

I don't believe I'd want to be driving a car with tires that were 10 years old in any case.

I may have missed something, but it sounded like you are running on 10 year old front tires. They may look OK but they get hard and do strange things. You need four tires that are alike and the same age.

Not all tire shops are equal when it comes to balancing tires. My son turned me on to a small shop where the guy is a real fanatic about balancing tires. The machine they use makes a lot of difference. This shop uses a Hunter GSP9700 roadforce balancer. It actually measures differences in the stiffness of the tire side wall and compensates for it with weights. I’ve never had a set of tires run so smooth on the highway. They used stick on weights and the machine is smart enough to place them behind the spokes so they don’t show. That solved my problem with front end shake on the highway.

Since my original post and fix I have never had any problems. I also took it up to 155 mph smooth all the way. I keep a close eye on my tires and brakes and I don't race around. My fronts look and drive great (although noisy) and I will replace them when it's time. No performance problems. It's actually nice to have the replacement schedule offset so I don't have to pay for four at once. Even if I did replace at the same time, there's no way the front and rears are going to wear at the same rate.
Chetzki

155 on 10 year old tires? I hope you have a lot of insurance and don't do it around me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom