Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Front fascia alignment issues

tcxd40

Corvette
(2) Black '93s, purple '81, '69 vintage racer
If any one can help?

I purchased a new GM front fascia panel for my '93. The old one came off very easily and the new one went on just as easy.

Here's the problem. The front fascia edges where they meet the hood at the corners are shifted about 3/16 inch the the left. Everything else lines up well.

Is the any adjustment left or right that I am missing?;shrug

tcxd40

If any one can help?

I purchased a new GM front fascia panel for my '93. The old one came off very easily and the new one went on just as easy.

Here's the problem. The front fascia edges where they meet the hood at the corners are shifted about 3/16 inch the the left. Everything else lines up well.

Is the any adjustment left or right that I am missing?;shrug

tcxd40
No 2 bumper fascias will fit the quite the same,without a little adjustment!!:thumb You will have to loosen the 4 nuts on the bumper reinforcement at the frame rails and slide it over to the right just a tad!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
The 2 top nuts are relatively easy,The bottom 2 "SUCK"!!:L:L:L

:D

OKAY,
That don't look like fun:confused

I'll give it a try...

Well,
I placed the old front end from my car on to my wife's car with no issues it fit very well. Her's was a little ruff but still in good shape, just to ruff for me.
Fitting the new fascia for mine is not going very well. I do have access to the four bolts, just does not want to flex in the right places. Move/ shift one thing and it sends another out of wack.. I'm sorta perplexed at this point.

tcxd40

Well,
I placed the old front end from my car on to my wife's car with no issues it fit very well. Her's was a little ruff but still in good shape, just to ruff for me.
Fitting the new fascia for mine is not going very well. I do have access to the four bolts, just does not want to flex in the right places. Move/ shift one thing and it sends another out of wack.. I'm sorta perplexed at this point.

tcxd40

Yeah - lemme' know when you do the back and shoot pics too, cause I gotta' re-align mine. :ugh

Where in Pittsburgh? I used to live Greentree /Parkway West, and King Edward Oakland...

Shrade,

I did the back on mine last year it was really easy no problems. The most difficult was to gain access to the nuts that hold the upper retainer to the body.

Location, just over the hill Bethel Park.

Having done this over the last two weeks before I finally decided to replace the nose I have a little experience with this. I used a piece of 1" dowell with one end ground to a crude point and the othere end flat. I slected the length so it was about 12.5" long. Then I had a 3/4" x 2 x 6-8" long peice of wood trim. Put the point of the dowel in the corner support of the facia. put the other end inboard (toward the structural rail that is roughly parallel to the ground. This support "rail" winds up just to the rear of the radiator. If you slip the end of the dowel against the strip of trim laying against rail and secure it with light friction you will note that if you tap on the opposite end of the trim, with the dowel wedged against the other end (about 1/3 of the way back from the front most end, you can drive the wood trim piece forward and with the dowel pushing away from the center of the car it will push the facia outward. Do one side at a time. It is a trail and error kind of thing. I did the driver side and got it right first try. The trial and error part is taking a reference measurement with the hood closed and a tape inserted into the vertical radiator support member you measure to the edge of the body. Then you measure and see how much it has to go out to align properly. Take your time in this part. You can save much time doing careful measurements now. Once you have the facia pushed out to meet the measurement that you got when you did your reference measurements you then tighten the outside most facia fastners where the hood hinge opening is. Then, and here's where the time is, your remove the dowel and trim strip (so you can close the hood cause the wood lieces will interfere with closing) and see how it went. Repeat as neccesary. Do get rushed..when frustartion occurs have a smoke and a drink of water and take another run at it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom