Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front spoiler on 68s-did they exist??

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
I baught a front spoiler to divert more air into engine but noticed there seems to have never had one to begin with. I thought they all had spoilers but my car is very early production #320.
Even looked at the CAC gallery and was surprised to see these photos w/ no spoiler.
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/586/cat/530/limit/recent

I hate to drill attatchment holes into something that may have never had it installed. My front valance appears to be original,even has the hand cut openings for cold air cooling.

Frt Spoiler

Jim,
The attached pic shows a front spoiler (or extension), my car doesn't have it either.....it does however have the two cutouts shown....
The drawing date is 11-28-67 so it is possible that your car, as mine, was built without the extension.....
Maybe someone like JohnZ will chime in and answer this for us.....

Cee,
What build # is your 68 ? And do you have the "hand" cut cold air holes?
In looking closer to your attatchment, my valance isnt made that way,my spoiler is already molded into the glass.

# is 1617, delivered in October '67...
There is no telling....from what I hear, they had problems with overheating on early production cars and the fix was the 2 holes and the spoiler....mine is a small block base motor so really not an issue....may be for you BB guys...

I'm sure JohnZ would know the asnwer to this...

The front valance with the holes in it and the chin spoiler were added to all BB's starting with VIN #720, and a TSB was issued to the dealers in February, 1968, to add them (plus a full fan shroud, new fan clutch, changing the vacuum advance source from "ported" to full manifold vacuum, etc.) to all BB cars built before #720. Not sure if (or when) similar changes were made on SB's - the big problem was the BB's.

:beer

Told ya he would know......thanks John.....again....

..john told a great story at carlisle about the new '68 bb cars overheating and a visit from from pete estes and zora;LOL

...Not sure if (or when) similar changes were made on SB's - the big problem was the BB's.
:beer

My smallblock 68 with AT has the spoiler. #416660 with I20 build date. Also has the holes in the lower valuance panel.
:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom