Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Front Suspension bushings & ball joints

81 Corvette

Corvette
1981 Pearl White
How difficult, and how long would it take to put these goodies on?

41553.jpg

My guess, at least looking at this from my talent level :D

A day, maybe finish up the second day, then off to get a 4-wheel alignment ;)

Tools I would recommend:
  • Floor Jack
  • Jack Stands
  • Steel Brush
  • Penatrate Oil / WD40
  • Impact Wrench
  • Set of box open end wrenchs
  • Pickle fork or ball joint puller
  • BFH Big **** Hammer
  • Oversized Heavy Duty Screw Driver or small pry bar
  • axil grease
  • 1981 GM Shop Manual
  • Access to C3 CAC Tech Forums ;)

More than a day if you have not done it before, most likely around 3 days. 1 to take apart, 2 to tackle the pressing in of the bushings and cleaning stuff + painting and a third day to put it back together. The bushings are by far the most difficult, the rest (provided you have ball joint splitters/seperators) is pretty easy and straightforward.

No spring compressor needed if you jack up the lower control arm, chain down the spring, undo the upper spindle castle nut and carefully release pressure from the assembly. The chain will keep the spring from flying away in case things do go wrong. I've always done it like that and can take apart the suspension in minutes.

Either Corvette Magazine or Corvette Enthusiast had an article on the subject this month.

Also, one of the vendors, Van Steel I think, makes a video on how to do it.

Bob

81 Corvette said:
How difficult, and how long would it take to put these goodies on?

It's not only putting them on, it's taking the old ones off and cleaning up the control arms & painting them. Rubber bushings must be put on by a machine shop unless you have a press. You can put poly bushings in. It took me up to 1 hour (40 minutes was about the fastest) to get each control arm bushing out. If you're doing rubber bushings, I'd say screw it and give the whole removal and replacement job to a maching shop. The labor will run $60 - 80 depending upon where you live. Tie rods will come right off with a pickle fork and replacing with new sleeves is easy. Ball joints coming off can be b__chy. Sometimes they cooperate and other times Murphy gets involved. Getting the springs back in ? I'd figure an hour each - if you're lucky.

I did the exact set of stuff you have pictured last winter. I was a first timer with average skills. Take apart I would say allow 1 day each side. Special caution on the spring. I used the floor jack to let it down method with a chain wrapped around for saftey. Asembly is is little less time. The upper & lower control arms is where I spent a good eal of time. Sand blasted and painted up nice and pretty. A machine shop put in my bushings in for $75 total. 1 day turnaround. Lastly with every thiing out of the way I spent time detailing the frame & wheel wells. Even replavced the rubber hose on the fuel pump because it was easy to do. Most of my time was spent making it good looking. Good luck. I also used 4 jack stands two way up front and two on the fram behind the wheels. Don't forget the alignment shop.

It took me about 3 months! January-March 2001. :D But I only worked on Saturday's---and not all day. I also sandblasted everything and painted all the parts and any part of the frame I could reach with POR-15 and then a top coat of Krylon. You may as well replace the coils and shocks while you're at it.

But I was in no hurry. It kept me outa the crack houses. ;LOL It was a nice winter project.

Don't ask how long it's taking me to rebuild and install this 454. :gap

well thats a bummer. i need to get a second car one of these days. I'm on vacation next week, but limited on funds due to the diff rebuild. Maybe you all will chip in on a nice chirstmas present for me :jester:

1970 Stingray said:
It took me about 3 months! January-March 2001. :D But I only worked on Saturday's---and not all day. I also sandblasted everything and painted all the parts and any part of the frame I could reach with POR-15 and then a top coat of Krylon. You may as well replace the coils and shocks while you're at it.

But I was in no hurry. It kept me outa the crack houses. ;LOL It was a nice winter project.

Don't ask how long it's taking me to rebuild and install this 454. :gap
Uh, about how long do you think it will take to rebuilt and install the 454?

TWINRAY said:
Uh, about how long do you think it will take to rebuilt and install the 454?

The engine is just about done. I've bought the block in February 2002! I've been slowly piecing her together due to time and $$. I still need a few little items. I'd like to get the engine swapped & mounted in the next couple weeks. Then I can tinker and finish up the small stuff and then fire her up. :D

It should be a good engine, I've had everything possible done to the block while it was in the shop, including an align hone and complete balance of the rotating assembly.

There's a bunch of pictures at my site, but unfortunately the server has been down for a few days. Should be back up by the weekend.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom