Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Frozen Distributor Hold Down Bolt!

Jon S

Corvette
I have tried every product on the market to penetrate a frozen distributoe hold down bolt (for timing adjustment) on my 1981. I've even used extra long leverage socket, but am afraid of breaking the bolt head. Any suggestions? I'm assuming galvanic action between the aluminum intake and the steel bolt. I don't want to break the bolt, but do want to adjust the timing.

It's possible galvanic action caused your problem but only if the wrong bolt was used. The stock bold should have been black oxide coated to prevent a corrosion problem. It also possible the bolt has been bottomed in the hole or over tightened.

I know you said you tried every product on the market but do this...

Get either Kroil or Aerokroil from Kano Labs. Spray the bolt. Let it sit 24 hours with a second application of Kroil after 12 hours. Then get a propane torch and heat the area surrounding the bolt but not the bolt. Then apply torque.

Admittedly, you still may break the bolt. If you do, you'll have to drill it out. Pull the intake and the distributor together and use a drill press. If you muck-up the hole, use a Time-Sert to repair it.

good luck.

Even if you mess-up the intake manifold there are ones on ebay for cheap or you can get an Edlebrock Performer...unless of course you are trying to stay completely stock.
I have a stock one, but it has been powder-coated gray...but it is available if you need it.

Good luck.

Even if you mess-up the intake manifold there are ones on ebay for cheap or you can get an Edlebrock Performer...unless of course you are trying to stay completely stock.
I have a stock one, but it has been powder-coated gray...but it is available if you need it.

Good luck.

Thanks! Yes, the car is 100% stock and I plan to keep it that way. BTW, my '81 is the car featured in Richard Prince's Corvette Restoration Guide 1968 - 1982 due to its originality. There are over 15 pictures of various engine, interior and other parts of the car. I've owned the car since 1983. If I can't loosten the frozen bolt, I will just leave it be. The bolt has not been touched in 29 yearsand I don't want to snap the head!

Do you have a distributor bolt wrench? The L shaped whizzo which lets you get to the bolt?

:thumb

Do you have a distributor bolt wrench? The L shaped whizzo which lets you get to the bolt?

:thumb

That was my 1st step last year, I then bought a heavier duty one even though that one worked fine on my other cars. Then went to a long shaft for extra leverage - nothing despite soaking it for weeks with PB Blast and similar products.

I don't know if you can get there with a hammer, but if you give it a shake with a hammer (head on) it just may do the trick :)

Greetings Peter

Have you tried to tighten it first before loosening? Sometimes a stuck bolt will tighten just a little. That gives you the movement you need to start working it back and forth with your PB.

Tom

Have you tried to tighten it first before loosening? Sometimes a stuck bolt will tighten just a little. That gives you the movement you need to start working it back and forth with your PB.

Tom

Tom -

Yes, did try that ploy also. I bought some new stuff that freezes the bolt - will try it soon. CRC makes it.

Jon

I've had luck with Hoppe's #9 Gun Solvent when everything else failed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom