Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FRUSTRATIONS

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
I've been prepping my car all winter - mending, replacing, and running wires, replacing gauges, painting, replacing the carb with a Q-Jet, cleaning everything. So... after saving my pennies, I'm at a point where I can finally move forward with finalizing this restoration project, or so I thought...

First, I accidently snapped the metal support that goes under the dash ( see photos). Does anyone know what this item is called? I can't seem to find a replacement, or an easy way to fix it myself. Can this type of metal be welded (it appears to be some type of aluminum.

Next, I'm not having any luck finding a shop to install a replacement windshield. I spoke with Tony of Tony's Corvette in Gaithersburg, but he's booked through the entire summer! He referred me to another shop. I contacted them and they don't mess with classic cars anymore... so then I tried Corvette Specialties of Maryland, nope. So the search continues...

Finally, my car is running like crap right now. I need to do a full tune up but I'm too tired to screw with it right now...

Just had to vent a bit.... "things will be better tomorrow!"

Fine,

That brace looks like it could be supported with a channel piece of aluminum. Drill holes to match and rivet or bolt together. I have seen aluminum channel pieces in Ace Hardware as well.

Que no?

I don't see why you couldn't get it welded back together with a TIG,
Good luck...

I feel your pain!!!finished up the winter projects Sunday, put her back together,started up and no blower or power windows...:hb

traced it down to the harness running along the top of the firewall......now to find out why they dont work.....:mad :mad

There is a product that is often sold at gunshows and toolshows and such. It's sort of a cross between a welding stick and an overgrown piece of solder. It is made for "welding" aluminum, pot metal, brass, copper - just not steel. You heat the work pieces with a propane torch and rub this stuff around until it melts into the break. When you're done, it can be sanded or grinded or drilled.

Does anyone know the name of what I'm talking about? I'll post it if I can remember it or find it on the instructions out in the garage when I get home.

There is a product that is often sold at gunshows and toolshows and such. It's sort of a cross between a welding stick and an overgrown piece of solder. It is made for "welding" aluminum, pot metal, brass, copper - just not steel. You heat the work pieces with a propane torch and rub this stuff around until it melts into the break. When you're done, it can be sanded or grinded or drilled.

Does anyone know the name of what I'm talking about? I'll post it if I can remember it or find it on the instructions out in the garage when I get home.

Aluminoy

Here are the details on what I was talking about. This is a .jpg. If you want it in a .pdf, please pm me with your e-mail address.

PS - I paid about a dollar a rod at a tool show, instead of the price shown here.

Low_Temp_Aluminum_Repair_Rod.JPG

Thanks everybody. This stuff looks really cool. I'll check it out.

I replaced my windshield this winter, and had a friend that runs a body shop do it. Took about an hour $140 bucks for the windshield and another 15 for the windshield sealant. It came out great.

I had a windshield company change mine about 20 years ago, no problems. Just make sure its some company that knows what they are doing since cheap isn't always the best way to go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom