Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Fuel gage temporarily reads empty after fill up.

Tony1Leo

Corvette
2017 Grand Sport
Fuel gage problem: My fuel gage reads empty for about 10 miles after
filling tank up.
After I fill my tank and drive off, the fuel gage will drop to empty within
a couple of blocks. It attempts to reset every few minutes, but fails. After
about 10 miles, it resets and everything is normal again. The check engine
light will also come on after about 3 miles of driving. It goes off after about
10-20 miles after the fuel gage resets. The check engine code is P2068, "fuel
level sensor 2 circuit - high voltage". The display reads "service fuel
system".
It only acts up when I fill the tank up completely. If I guess and try to
fill it up to within about a half gallon of full, I have no problem. I gathered
this since it seems to always reset right around 10 miles after fill up...about
a half gallon of gas. It does not affect engine performance or anything
noticeable, just the fuel gage. I'm on my 7th tank refill since the problem started.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? The dealer told me based on the
code, they would have to drop the differential and fuel tanks to replace the
sensor to the tune of about $2400.

2007 z51 with 47000 miles.

Tony

It's a similar type problem that is experienced by other GM products. I'd try some Chevron Techron gas additive in the tank...maybe a couple bottles. The known problem is caused by sulfur in low grade fuels and attacking the sensor in the tank. I've used SeaFoam to do the same thing.

Thanks Tom. Is this a situation where I have to continuously use the Techron...will the problem get progressively worst?
Tony

It's a similar type problem that is experienced by other GM products. I'd try some Chevron Techron gas additive in the tank...maybe a couple bottles. The known problem is caused by sulfur in low grade fuels and attacking the sensor in the tank. I've used SeaFoam to do the same thing.

Tony, you may have to use it for a while, until the sulfur deposits are cleaned off the sensor. I had the issue right away (like on my way home from buying my 01). I was able to put a can of Seafoam in the tank and let it sit for a week. This seemed to have cleared up the problem for some time. But I still have it occur occasionally, particularly if I don't run top tier gas (which is not readily available where I live) in the Corvette. I run a bottle of Techron or Seafoam through the tank every third or fourth fill, and do this with my other two vehicles as well (both GM products).

If you run the Seafoam or Techron through on a regular basis it might halt the problem entirely.....and it may not. I figure it's a crap shoot. So far it's paid off for me.

Maybe I'll try the Seafoam. I buy Chevron gas most of the time, which has the techron in it. Where can you buy the Seafoam?

Tony, you may have to use it for a while, until the sulfur deposits are cleaned off the sensor. I had the issue right away (like on my way home from buying my 01). I was able to put a can of Seafoam in the tank and let it sit for a week. This seemed to have cleared up the problem for some time. But I still have it occur occasionally, particularly if I don't run top tier gas (which is not readily available where I live) in the Corvette. I run a bottle of Techron or Seafoam through the tank every third or fourth fill, and do this with my other two vehicles as well (both GM products).

If you run the Seafoam or Techron through on a regular basis it might halt the problem entirely.....and it may not. I figure it's a crap shoot. So far it's paid off for me.

Use Techron PLUS,It'll work better and faster!:thumb

I used to use Chevron fuel all the time and I never had a problem till they started dumping Corn Cobs in the gas!~!!
Now I use 1, 20 oz Bottle of Techron PLUS about every 8-10 tanks,also I make sure that the tank is full/w 1 bottle of Techron when I know the car will be setting for a extended period of time!~!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

PS Tom,Ferds and Dodgers will do it too!~!! :D

Thanks for the info. Will give the Techron or Seafoam a try soon.

Use Techron PLUS,It'll work better and faster!:thumb

I used to use Chevron fuel all the time and I never had a problem till they started dumping Corn Cobs in the gas!~!!
Now I use 1, 20 oz Bottle of Techron PLUS about every 8-10 tanks,also I make sure that the tank is full/w 1 bottle of Techron when I know the car will be setting for a extended period of time!~!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

PS Tom,Ferds and Dodgers will do it too!~!! :D

Junkie, I assumed that the other flavors had the problem too, but I never frequent places other than GM sites so I never heard whether or not they did.

I buy my Seafoam at Wally World.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom