Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel gauge issue

crause

Corvette
75 Convertible-steel blue / 2000 lt. pewter conv.
Well, I just had the dealer replace the passengers side fuel sending unit on my 2000. It would frequently send my gauge to empty and set off all kind of warnings. I could reset it and it would work for a while. During this time of trouble, the gas gauge would never go to the full mark when I filled the tank. I figured this was part of the problem with the sending unit.
When I picked the car up I noticed that the gauge was not all the way on full. I went to a station and filled up but it still didn't go all the way to full. Brought it back to dealer and dropped it off. After a week they told me that the sending unit was functioning properly and not sending any codes. It has not gone to empty like before since I picked it up. They fooled with the gauge and were able to get it to move a little closer to full. When I turn the key on the needle sweeps from past empty to pass full so I know it's not stuck.
anyone have any suggestions? Should I just learn to live with or keep throwing money at it?

You obviously did have a sender issue. You might have been able to resolve it with some Techron fuel treatment to remove sulfur buildup on the sender potentiometer. Common issue.

You tell us it does not go to full but you don't tell us were it goes to. ????

Personally I would not care if it would not go to full. I never keep more than about 3/8's in mine to reduce weight.

Fuel guage problems

A lot of people, including me, have problems with this system. The dealer told me that I could end up spending thousands to fix this problem. For the moment, I'm living with mine.

You might try removing the right rear wheel and then remove the wheel well liner. That will expose the right side sending unit. Remove that and clean the contacts and reinstall and check to see if it reads correctly. If it does not, then you may have to replace that sending unit.

My plan is to do that later this summer when I install sound installation around the rear wheel wells.

For parts I check with Rock Auto first. They seem to be the most reasonable on price. If they don't have what I'm looking for then I go someplace else that has the parts. For specialized parts, there a armful of vendors on this site that can help you out.

Good luck with it. Let us know how things turn out for you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom