Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Fuel Gauge problem

hubbajr46

Corvette
2003 Anniversary Red Convertable
Can anyone help ;help me resolve :confused an inaccurate fuel gauge problem on my 03 Anniversary convertable. The tank is full but he gauge indicates just over a half tank. The car is stored at least 6 months and only has 14,000 miles.

Thanks in advance:beer,
Jerry

Can anyone help ;help me resolve :confused an inaccurate fuel gauge problem on my 03 Anniversary convertable. The tank is full but he gauge indicates just over a half tank. The car is stored at least 6 months and only has 14,000 miles.

Thanks in advance:beer,
Jerry

Common problem due to build-up on the gauge floats. Try some Techron additive (available at any parts store) to dissolve the build-up. It may take a little while, but many have found this fixes the problem. Also, Chevron gas has this additive in the fuel, so will prevent it from coming back.

Use Techron PLUS!! Works Better and faster than regular Techron!!:thumb
I usually run Chevron Fuel and have no problems till I can't find it on the road,so I keep a couple bottles in the car for when I can't find it on a trip!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

gmjunkie, I noticed that you posted a pic of the 12 gallon label. Do you use the 12 gallon size? I use the 20 gallon size.

gmjunkie, I noticed that you posted a pic of the 12 gallon label. Do you use the 12 gallon size? I use the 20 gallon size.
Normally,I get the 20 gallon bottles, but the last couple times I've bought it,it's been on sale 2 for 1!! 2/12 gal bottles for $6.95, so I buy a couple 12 bottle cases!!:thumb:thumb:thumb I never let my car get below 1/3-1/4 tank anyway and thats usually 10-12 gals of gas!!:thumb Besides,I've been getting well above 30 MPG on the road and my kidneys won't last that long anyway!!:D:D:D

A short while ago I noticed a bottle of "GM Fuel Tank Additive" sitting on a display shelf at my local GM dealer. I asked the parts guy what it did and he said it dissolved a "sludge build-up" on the fuel gauge float. Of course when I asked the price it was like $24.95 a bottle or some nonsensical price close to that. Anybody try this stuff? I have consistenly used Techron in my C5 and have had no fuel gauge problems. I would like to know the GM part number for their stuff so I can see what GM Parts Direct gets for it.

GM Fuel System Treatment Plus, P/N 88861011

I use Techron Plus when I can't get Top Tier fuel.

I would like to know the GM part number for their stuff so I can see what GM Parts Direct gets for it.
Why not just use Techron Plus, It's the same stuff except for the GM Packaging!!:thumb :chuckle
:D

could not get my fuel gauge to come around with additives, had to pull pump and sending unit and replace---verg common on gm cars

OP also said car stored 6-months a year. Car should be stored with a full tank. I don't think you need Stabil for the fuel but should be full tank. I also try not to go below 1/3 tank or park it more than a week with a low tank. Techron is a must - fuel system cleaner. I also use the Fuel Injector cleaner once a year or so.

HI there,
HOLD ON HERE>

The owner did NOT post the last 6 digits of his VIN.

If he has the FFS fuel system, he may need a recalibration of the PCM.

Techron plus will not help a calibration issue.

Allthebest, c4c5

OP also said car stored 6-months a year. Car should be stored with a full tank. I don't think you need Stabil for the fuel but should be full tank. I also try not to go below 1/3 tank or park it more than a week with a low tank.

Hmmm. Owner's manual (2004 edition) doesn't mention any of this...? 'Course, it doesn't seem to cover long-term vehicle storage either... Not sure why short-term storage (week or two) with less than a third of a tank would be an issue either. ;shrug

My current job frequently takes me out of town, so sadly, mine tends to sit more than it gets driven at the moment. And it's generally sat with whatever fuel has been in the tank (usually with some Stabil added); never had any fuel indication issue yet (knock on wood...). But maybe I should start keeping the tank full...? ;shrug

For what it might be worth, I've got a 1997 Jimmy that seems to do the exact opposite: reads correctly as fuel is burned from "FULL" to "HALF," then reverses as fuel continues to burn such that at "EMPTY" the gauge is reading "FULL" once again... That truck doesn't get nearly the kind of gas mileage to make that believable...

Hey guys...so, I'm having a similar problem. When I fill my tank my gauge reads great until it drops to 1/2-3/4 of a tank and then it drops to empty and my check gauges light comes on. Filler her up and it does the same thing.....any ideas?

Not only did I have to pay $800.00 for the vette to replace sending unit and pump but also on my 2001 chevy blazer. Took gm up the tube twice!!

How often do you put this in your gas?

If you experience the problem use it for the next 2-3 tanks. After that every 3-4 tanks should keep you in business. I stay away from the discount fuels as well.

Ok the gas gauge went from empty to full so the techron seems to have done it but i got a check engine light yesterday, is this from the techron treatment i put in the gas?

Checked all the belts and such and all are okay and the car runs okay...help

May just be a fluke....disconnect your neg. terminal for 15 minutes or so and see if it re-appears. Make sure you know your stereo unlock code.........

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom