Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel injection help

D

donzi

I discovered oil in the distrubtor housing. 1965 375 hp fuel injected.
Help on the following questions
What is causing the oil in the housing?
What is the cure?
what effect will the oil have on the runnind of the car? ( the reason we are asking is because the car is running OK until the engine comes up to tempature over 200 degrees)
Thanks
JIm

The gear drive section below the housing (for the fuel pump and the tachometer drive) on a fuel-injected Corvette is lubricated by engine oil pressure via a line from a fitting in the block adjacent to the distributor; there's a seal on the mainshaft just below the upper housing and above the gear drive section. If that seal is shot, you can get oil from the gear drive section up into the distributor itself - that's where I'd look first.
:beer

Thank you, will the oil effect operation of the engine?

It probably will if it gets on the points. But the temperature thing seems more like a choke issue (sorry, I'm not familiar enough with FI to troubleshoot that).

Thanks Wayne-- What does the choke have to do the the temp?

Percolation

Your FI running problems at high engine temps (200 degrees is relatively high) are probably due to percolation in the FI distribution spider. The gasoline is actually vaporizing in the copper tubes that feed the nozzles.

Modern gasoline is especially prone to percolating. It often has a high Reid vapor pressure. You can try running pure racing gas because it has a lower vapor pressure, but the ultimate fix is probably going to be installing a new aluminum radiator (cha-ching!) to cool your engine properly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom