Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: fuel injector problems

Bentas1ent

Corvette
1989 black
I just tried testing the resistance readings on all injectors on my 89 c4 and found that three of them read 6.1 ohms, two read 10.7, one reads 11.7 ohms and two read 16.9 ohms. Is this possibly the reason that it won't start when it is hot??? If the answer is yes, is there a good publication out there that would guide me through the replacement process??

Call Jon at Fuel Injector Connection in Georgia.

Google his company and give him a call. Jon will call you right back.

Also search his company (FIC) here to find threads regarding the Bosch Design III fuel injector for your Vette. You will be glad you did!

SAVE the WAVE!

I just tried testing the resistance readings on all injectors If the answer is yes,
Almost certain to be you problem
If not those readings show your old injectors are on the way out , not going to get any better and long overdue for replacement
see
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1560021781-post5.html

is there a good publication out there that would guide me through the replacement process??
The factory service manual is best but plenty online
http://www.thirdgen.org/injectorswap
http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/corp_0708_fuel/index.html

Cheat way ( need to download file and print )
http://webpages.charter.net/buddiel/Injector Removal (WO Runner Removal) 1-04.doc

Some more pics here on injector removal and dis-assembly...

I have a set of new O-rings, if your injectors pass the spray test. They're yours if needed.

I did mine in an evening. I would recommend if you aren't very familiar with the engine compartment to take lots of pictures during the removal. The plenum and runners can be a pain, but as mentioned well worth it. Use bags contain hardware as removed, and label with detail.

LT1 injector replacement is a lot easier than TPI :ugh

Sure was. Especially those 2 base endbolts on the runners on my '87.

3/8" drive -> 3/8" x 1/4" adapter -> 1/4" x 8" adapter extension ->1/4" x 3/8" adapter -> 3/8" Torx (plus some skin off the knuckles :mad ).

Sure was. Especially those 2 base endbolts on the runners on my '87.

3/8" drive -> 3/8" x 1/4" adapter -> 1/4" x 8" adapter extension ->1/4" x 3/8" adapter -> 3/8" Torx (plus some skin off the knuckles :mad ).

I did my injector swap in about 4 hrs...the back ache lasted much longer.

There is lots of good info on youtube for someone thinking of doing this. Here is a link to one video that gives an idea of what to expect...

YouTube - GM Corvette TPI L98 Step by Step Injector Swap Video Guide (10 min. video)

There is lots of good info on youtube for someone thinking of doing this. Here is a link to one video that gives an idea of what to expect...

YouTube - GM Corvette TPI L98 Step by Step Injector Swap Video Guide (10 min. video)

I can't put a bolt back in a hole until it's been through a tumbler (ammo brass), or cleaned with a brush (literally), and the hole is chased and lubed, sometimes block holes Shop-vac'ed clean (and usually taken pics).

I spent 9 FULL days doing that thread above, and about 3 weeks on my L98.

I can't put a bolt back in a hole until it's been through a tumbler (ammo brass), or cleaned with a brush (literally), and the hole is chased and lubed, sometimes block holes Shop-vac'ed clean (and usually taken pics).

I spent 9 FULL days doing that thread above, and about 3 weeks on my L98.

I did all the work prior....new bolts bought, taps in tool tray, top of engine always sterile. The slowest part was the assembly of the rails, O rings and then check and recheck the pressurized system before going further. The rest? just turning wrenches and staying focused.

Planning ahead for everything was the only reason it did'nt take me a week. I approached the job with every possible combo of extentions and swivel joints and long reach torx that has ever been made knowing the bolt behind the EGR was a PIA and I did'nt want to stop and have to hunt for tools, so I got everything I might need before starting.
The first time I did L98 injectors it took a week or two....that was an education. This last time I knew exactly what I was gettin into. Day before I called a couple local shops to see what they'd charge.....as I did'nt really want to do the job myself.

One thing I have learned from working on these cars If you have back Issues like lot of us lets say Older guys with back Issues is Put the car on jack stands so you dont have to bend over as far for hours at a time.

I feel you'r Back Pain LOL Back Pain sucks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom