Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel pump going?

Circuit description

The fuel pump signal is monitored for voltage by the ECM and is used to compensate fuel delivery based on system voltage. This signal is also used to store a trouble code, if the relay is defective or fuel pump oltage is lost while the engine is running. There should be about 12vdc on CKT 458 (oil pressure switch output to FP1 (10amp fuse) for two seconds after ignition is turned on, or any time reference pulses are being received by the ECM.

Code 54 will set if teh voltage on 458 is less than 2vdc for 1.5 seconds since the last reference pulse. This code is designed to detect a faulty relay, causing extended crank time, and the code will help diagnosis of an engine that cranks, but will not run.

If a fault is etected during start, the SES light will stay on until the ignitionis cycled off. If the voltage is detected below 2vdc with the engine running, the light will only remain on while the condition exists. Hmmmmm, your 'flash'.

The fuel pump test connector (circuit 490) is located under the master cylinder, near the battery.

Depending on your flow through the troubleshooting chart for Code 54, it could be an open circuit from various components (or faulty components), namely, the the oil pressure sending {Pin1}unit, the ECM(circuit 465){Pin 5}, a bad relay or pump, or faulty ground {Pin2} to the components.

{refers to fuel pump relay pins}, as below with tab to the left.

[[ 1 3 4
= = =

It also suggests checking, with engine idling at normal temperature:
-oil press. normal
-disconnect pump relay
-engine continues to run.

No- faulty oil pressure switch (disconnected?)

Yes- recomnnect fuel pump relay
ignition off
check grounded test light on FP test terminall

Light- OFF ON
circuit ok faulty oil press. sw.

I hope you get it fixed. I have things to DO.

:w

Ok you quoted the book nicely

But he has no problems DRIVING....
( that would eliminate the sock & the oil pressure switch)

He has a problem STARTING... no pumping observed!!!!! ( by listening)

I think he has a problem with his fuel pressure meter.

He DID set the code 54......

So where do you start???

Again I stick with the $8.00 relay

The symptoms describe this as being the MOST likely culprit.

If that doesn't get it.. I would check the ground @ the tank...

Jeeze.....

Vig!

And the winner is...

Vigman, with a caveat...

Got home, immediately checked the fuse with a meter. Got some current, though not a lot. Went to the firewall and pulled out the relay (which had been replaced - MUCH newer than the other one in front of it) and found... the #^(&^#($^ who did the replacement had also apparently replaced the socket and had stripped the incoming wires about AN INCH LONGER than they should have been - so there was an inch of bare, dirty, oil-coated wire on three leads just sitting there - and two were touching. I moved them all apart, turned the key, and <whine> the pump primed... Also reattached the gauge (for the fourth time) and saw 42 PSI - right where I wanted it. So the gauge is working as well. It's a wonder this hasn't happened before (or noticeable before).

Hopefully some electrical tape or heatshrink will fix the problem permanently. Thanks for *all* the suggestions and help, guys. This place is a lifeline!
[RICHR]

Rich

Were the wires soldered?

I understand they were bare.....

WHAT A DUFUS!
( Did it have a piece of masking tape stating
BUBBA was here?)

Well good thing you found THAT pesky problem.

I'll take the partial win.......

Vig!

The wires were still crimp-attached to the leads in the socket. The crimp connectors looked new...

Put some heat shrink *and* electrical tape on there and moved the plastic wire sleeve up to cover all. Should be OK. Turned the key to ON a couple times last night just to listen to the sound... :) .

[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom