Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

fuel pump

Jim B

Corvette
1974 L82 Grey coupe
Need to replace the fuel pump on my '74. Anyone have any tips for me on it.Should be easy, right? Never done it before.

You shouldn't have a problem. The pump pushes a piston. when you take the old pump out the piston will drop. You need to take it out. Grease it up a bit and push it back up in the hole...it needs to stay in the up position so you can get the new pump in. Otherwise straight forward.

Jim

Jim B said:
Need to replace the fuel pump on my '74. Anyone have any tips for me on it.Should be easy, right? Never done it before.

Which engine - 350 or 454?

Its an easy change , really straight forward. Its two bolts, scrape a gasket and replace just like you took it out. You probably will want to change the rubber hose going to the pump as well. Have something handy to plug the hose from the tank as you probably will get a bath.

Jim B, is it driveable? If you feel like running up rt50 to Peotone I'll give ya a hand with it. Mike

MKAPP7879, It's not driveable or I'd take you up on your offer. I'm starting on it Thur. I'm only in Bradley if you got nothing goin on. Thanks

Jim, it is a pretty easy fix. I have just changed mine on my '73. I found it much easier to jack up the right side of the car, and remove the front wheel/tire so I had more room to move around (don't forget jackstands). I put a small glob of grease on the piston to hold it in place. One tip you might want to use is clamping off the fuel inlet line to the pump. If you don't do this, you will have fuel shooting out over you and your garage floor. If you decide to change the fuel inlet hose to the pump make sure you clamp off the rubber fuel hose at the rear of the car between the tank and frame rail. Get yourself a nice tool that clamps off hoses without damaging them (visegrips not recommended, especially if hoses are somewhat older). Hoses should be clamped off due to the gas being siphoned because of the location of the tank up higher. Hope this helps.....good luck!

Not much left to add...

I did mine and it was no problem...use a dab of grease to hold the pin in place and your good to go.

My only advise it to disconnect the battery when working with anything related to the fuel system.

Let us know how it goes.....
Chas:_rock

racingundertaker said:
One tip you might want to use is clamping off the fuel inlet line to the pump. If you don't do this, you will have fuel shooting out over you and your garage floor. If you decide to change the fuel inlet hose to the pump make sure you clamp off the rubber fuel hose at the rear of the car between the tank and frame rail. Get yourself a nice tool that clamps off hoses without damaging them (visegrips not recommended, especially if hoses are somewhat older).

Here's what I use - self-locking plastic clamp-off pliers with rounded jaw surfaces - won't damage the rubber hoses; any good auto parts store should have them. :)

GasClamp640.jpg

:beer

Jim B said:
MKAPP7879, It's not driveable or I'd take you up on your offer. I'm starting on it Thur. I'm only in Bradley if you got nothing goin on. Thanks
Thought how easy it would be doing it up on the hoist. PM or email time and place, maybe I can make it if after 4pm. Mike

I used a plastic vice grip type clamp that I got for about $5 from Lowe's to clamp the inlet hose. I also plugged the hose with a small bolt and hose clamp.

Not sure if all small blocks are the same, but on mine, there is a bolt in the front (in front of the fuel pump). If you have the same, you can remove this bolt, then use a longer one of the same thread size (3/8" I believe) to hold the fuel pump rod in place.

Be sure to replace the bolt with the orginal before start up!

Thanks to everyone! Jim
If you haven't done it yet, when you do bump the engine over with the starter so the fuel pump rod is as far in as it will go. It runs off the lobe on the front of the cam. You will also find a bolt in the front of the engine that goes all the way through the block into the fuel pump galley. Take that bolt out, hold the rod up with your finger and put a longer bolt in that hole and it will hit up against the rod and won't slide down. When the pump is bolted back in place, take the long bolt out and replace the shorter original bolt with a dab of silicone on it. Makes the job a little easier. Happy Motoring. Russ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom