Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel tanks and pumps (questions for the '82 guys)

If the pump is bad, I say yes. If the pump is still good. I say spend money on something else. At least to me, spending money to replace a good part doesn't make sense.
I guess that's up to each of us...whatever makes you happy!:beer

21 year old pumps can hardly be looked upon as a part that will give many many miles of trouble free service. Of all crossfire cars I've worked on I have seen onlyn1 with a decent pump and that was a very low mileage car

I've seen pumps that have lasted a week. So replacing one that you may feel is going to fail as preventative maintenance with a new one is no guarantee to prevent a problem.

That's why you get a delco replacement and not one of those cheapo autozone pumps. You also need to replace the strainer and clean the tank of any goop that's in there.

But there's no need arguing about this so I'll let it go from now on.....

I've got news for you! Delco has a horrible record for fuel pumps. Those pumps that have failed within a week were Delco pumps.
Besides, Delco is not OEM anymore. Delphi is now OEM.

.. the tone of your message irritates me a lot, no use in argueing with you. You clearly seem to know it all and have a vast experience when it comes to 82's and fuel injection in general. I'm humbled by your knowledge.

No offense intended. I'm just trying to relay what I have experienced. I don't claim to know it all. If you're taking exception, I apologize if it sounded wrong.

Vettenick, if Twin Turbo and I seem a little cocky about our knowledge, it's for two reasons; one, we both own 1982 Corvettes and have done extensive modifications *and testing*, and two, we both run the CrossFire Injection Vault, which deals with nothing *but* '82 and '84 Corvettes, as well as '82-'83 F-bodies that were equipped with CrossFires.

That being said, both of us have worked on numerous '82 and '84 Corvettes in person, and numbering well into the hundreds over the 'net. Needless to say, we've experienced a LOT. I've done the '85 pump swap numerous times for friends, and when an AC Delco pump has been used, they work great and last long. I had a Carter that lasted barely a year; I replaced it with an AC Delco and never had another problem. The same goes for the members on the CrossFire Vault - the AC Delco '85 pump lasts quite a while (I still have yet to hear of a failure with an '85-Delco pump.)

As for the original question, an '82 tank will fit just fine *AND* you *can* use the TBI or TPI pump to feed your carburetor, but you *MUST* use a regulator to lower the pressure to 5-7PSI for a cabureted application. The best regulator setup is a return style for this application, as it extends fuel pump life. The dead-head style regulators put a strain on the pump, but they can still be used by running a "T" fitting up to the carb, and feeding the outlet of the regulator to the return line.

Ken, you can be as cocky as you want. That doesn't bother me. I've never questioned anyone's expertise. It seems though twin turbo took exception to what I posted. I'm not in this to see who is the smartest. Maybe some people are. I have a lot of real world experience too. I believe this forum is for people to gain information and make their own decisions. Just because two people disagree on a subject is no reason to get personal.
I'm not holding any grudges. As a matter of fact I enjoyed the exchange. Talk to you soon!

This is not about disagreeing, it's about just being plain stubborn and just wanting to disagree. You clearly don't want to see that there is a huge benefit to the later model pump and no drawback but you leap from branch to branch, every time there's an answer to a "but.." you reach in your hat and pull out something new. There's no way to argue when it comes down to that, some people just do not want to accept something for true, that's okay but I won't waste my time on that.

It seems that you just won't let this go. Who's stubborn?
Ken, I appreciate your response. Twin turbo, you've made an impression. Think about that.

Read over the post again, for every answer given you come up with something new again or revert to something already answered. You are the one that clearly doesn't want to see the benefits of the later pump.

I made an impression? I've tried to give answers but am not willing to go in circles.

I made an impression? A have news for you then, I DON'T CARE!

What does that mean? IS it another derogatory comment? If so, I will leave this forum and will not poison your vast knowledge so the others here can learn from you and won't be destracted by my stupid mumbling. I sincererly apologize for trying to help here, i should have known that I am as dumb as a doornail and know nothing about engines, fuel systems and such.

I'd like to put an end to this. I really would not want to see you leave. That defeats the purpose of what everyone is doing.
I would like to reach a truce with you. Can we do this as gentlemen? It's up to you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom