Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fuel

61 Silver

Corvette
1961 270HP and 1963 340HP
Hi!

What brand of gas are you using? I try to buy Sunoco 93 octane. I was talking to an engine builder and he stated that Sunoco is a poor grade or quality of gas for the higher compression engines and recommended that I change to a different brand.

Sunoco a poor grade? Find another engine builder. My '63 will only run on Sunoco 94. Not 93, only 94 or higher. For the older cars, it seems like Sunoco is the cat's meow. Especially since Amoco is all but gone. Classic

We can no longer can purchase 94 octane Sunoco in Western NY only 93 octane or lower. That’s why I questioned the engine builder. Sunoco 94 was the only gas that I used (three years) and the previous owner of over 35 years used the same. I now use Sunoco 93 and was curious to what other CAC members are using in their vehicles.

Ray

I can still get 94 althought it was reported here that Sunoco is discontinuing it. I use 94 in both my cars. It only costs me a few dollars per tank full and I hope to get maximum performance with it's use. That's why we buy these cars. Why take a chance?

Grizzly said:
I can still get 94 althought it was reported here that Sunoco is discontinuing it. I use 94 in both my cars. It only costs me a few dollars per tank full and I hope to get maximum performance with it's use. That's why we buy these cars. Why take a chance?
Sunoco is going to discontinue 94-oct. gas. The explanation is that they bought another refiner's stations none of which have the capiblility to mix as many grades as can present Sunoco stations. To solve that problem and have comonality across all its stations, the 94-oct gas is getting the deep six.

90% of all gas distributed in the U.S. is identical at the pipeline/storage/distribution point level, with brand-unique additives added when it's pumped into the tank trucks that deliver it to the retailers; they all use the same base gasoline stocks. Sunoco's gasoline base stocks are no different from any of the other brands - they all come out of the same common-use pipelines and storage tanks for retail distribution. No such thing as every gasoline brand having its own private/dedicated pipelines and distribution facilities, although their marketing people would have you believe otherwise.
:beer

John;

How do they increase the octane level?

Ray

My 61 315hp doesn't run all that well on straight pump gas regardless of brand. I have two five gallon safety cans that I keep filled with 100LL avgas purchased at the local airport. I mix approx. three gallons of avgas with a fill up of 93 octane whatever and the car runs great. Only problem is avgas is costing about $3.85 a gallon. This system is not conducive to taking the car on any long road trip unfortunately.

61 Silver said:
John;

How do they increase the octane level?

Ray
They used to do it by adding tetraethyl lead, but since it's now outlawed they use other additives, MTBE being the current one in favor, I believe. But there are some problems with it also. Ethyl alcohol (about 10% or less added) produced from corn is also in use in the midwest to raise octane levels a couple of points.

(Just noticed this was a question for John, didn't mean to jump in uninvited).

Classicvette63 said:
Sunoco a poor grade? Find another engine builder. My '63 will only run on Sunoco 94. Not 93, only 94 or higher. For the older cars, it seems like Sunoco is the cat's meow. Especially since Amoco is all but gone. Classic
Didn't BP just take over Amoco but keep the gasoline the same ? Is the #93 BP different from the Amoco 93 now? Say it ain't so!

I have no problem with Sunoco. They must have a good additive package. In an old car I replaced a few months ago I could run the 87 octane Sunoco but I needed the middle grade anywhere else or it would ping.

Tom

My 11-1 pieces work adequately with most premiums and NO additives.. All others 12+ and over I use aviation as they are not really highway pieces and are infrequently used. ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom