Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Full tank; how to replace fuel filter... (pics)

Schrade

Corvette
'90 LT 5
Full tank; how to replace fuel filter...

I loosened the lines, and it started flowing good.

If I dis-connect the line in the pic, will the flow stop from the tank?

Attachments

• HPIM5903.jpg
    HPIM5903.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 120
  • HPIM5897.jpg
    HPIM5897.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 110
just pull fuel pump fuse and run car till it dies then should be just minor fuel draining. But if you are disconnecting lines you will have to disconnect the line that is at the front of the sending unit that faces the passenger side of the car. That is the feed line.

just pull fuel pump fuse and run car till it dies then should be just minor fuel draining. But if you are disconnecting lines you will have to disconnect the line that is at the front of the sending unit that faces the passenger side of the car. That is the feed line.

Thanks!

Yeah - I gotta' unplug, and it started flowing FAST. Not from pump pressure either, but just from FULL tank... Half a gallon (plus) spilled makes me nervous.

So the line shown in the pic, toward the driver's side, is NOT the feed line? Must be return then???

Thanks!

Yeah - I gotta' unplug, and it started flowing FAST. Not from pump pressure either, but just from FULL tank... Half a gallon (plus) spilled makes me nervous.

So the line shown in the pic, toward the driver's side, is NOT the feed line? Must be return then???

that is a vent line

this is how pump looks, if you are looking at it from drivers side. top line facing passenger side is feed, bottom line facing passenger side return, line facing drivers side is vent.

exhaust003.jpg

Feed + return is on passenger side of motor too. :duh AND, Charcoal cannister / EVAP is on driver's side, up front. :duh :duh :duh

My '87 didn't have this excess flow problem for fuel filter change, that I remember... ;shrug

So the rubber gasket around the filler neck lifts OVER the neck? Mine is TIGHT. Will it tear? I know of no other place to dis-connect the feed line...

Pulling the FP fuse won't help one bit!~!!:thumb
If the fuel level in the tank is higher than the filter,The fuel will flow till the tank is near empty! (less than 1/4 tank on a C4)
:thumb:thumb

I either

(1) Raise the front of the vehicle until the filter is higher than the fuel level in the tank.

(2) Pump the fuel out of the vehicle till it is!(I use a 45 gallon plastic barrel and a in-line electric fuel pump!)

Otherwise you'll need a 10 gallon drain pan and to be damn fast about it!~!!! :L

:thumb :D

Last edited:
Pulling the FP fuse won't help one bit!~!!:thumb
If the fuel level in the tank is higher than the filter,The fuel will flow till the tank is near empty! (less than 1/4 tank on a C4)
:thumb:thumb

I either

(1) Raise the front of the vehicle until the filter is higher than the fuel level in the tank.

(2) Pump the fuel out of the vehicle till it is!(I use a 45 gallon plastic barrel and a in-line electric fuel pump!)

Otherwise you'll need a 10 gallon drain pan and to be damn fast about it!~!!! :L

:thumb :D

Found this out the hard way. I was fast with the pan, even faster getting the filler door lid off and rubber boot. Saw the rubber lines, hose pinch off pliers saved the day. This is how I do them now.

Just pinch of the feed line/return line and all will be well.

Hi Jessie...

I got the front end up about 18" right now, and you're right about FAST - I had the filter loose, and fuel was comin' STRONG!

I'm lookin' at dis-connecting the lines at the filler neck, to limit spillage here...

===============================================

edit:
got both lines un-hooked, and then got the filter off with a minimum of spillage...

Attachments

• HPIM5920.jpg
    HPIM5920.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 110
  • HPIM5918.jpg
    HPIM5918.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Then filter off (some dark juice on the filter nut, barely noticeable)...

Some of the debris from the old filter (only 31k, but 22 years, and not much debris got rubbed off of the surface here)....

Fuel line connectors back on; clamped on a different spot!

Attachments

• HPIM5922.jpg
    HPIM5922.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 116
  • HPIM5924.jpg
    HPIM5924.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 115
  • HPIM5925.jpg
    HPIM5925.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 103

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom