Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FX3 Shocks (Handling/Interchangable)

meridian6

Corvette
1992 LT1 White Convertible America3
What is the difference between 89-91 and 92-95 year Bilstein FX3 shocks? They look identical. Can they be interchanged if done in pairs or would they change vehicle handling ??? ;shrug

Not sure what the situation would be, if you mixed shocks however, the 89-91 are interchangeable and so are the 92-96 shocks. Acuator is the same from 89-96 so I honestly have no idea... :confused

Sorry... I don't have an answer, but when I saw the thread it reminded me about a related question I had about my 94' with FX3... do the shocks have to be Bilstein at all? I just got this Vette in August, and don't know much about how the the FX3 system works. If I ever need to replace the Bilsteins, what are the options?

Option 1 - replace one for one and keep original and fully functional (my preference), option 2 - retrofit and give up the existing system. Do search on FX3 - lots of opinions out there.

After looking at the suspension chart in the knowledgebase, it appears there may be differences in the FX3 shocks for 95 and 96. Those cars rode softer than the earlier cars so damping rates may be different.

In a nutshell, the FX3 system looks at vehicle speed and the position of the control knob on the console and adjusts the shock damping rate accordingly. There is a controller in the compartment behind the driver seat where the ABS/ASR pumps reside.

I have FX3 and I really like it. It helps for both autocross and open track events. While the system is fairly expensive to repair, Bilstien will rebuild FX3 shocks for around $50 each. That beats the $200 from the catalogs!! They will alos re-valve them if you want a stiffer shock or for a specific competition purpose. Thei number is 800-537-1085. Ask for Bill Hindorf.

The difference is in the degrees of rotation. 60 degrees vs 110 I think it was.

Jim

I could be wrong but I don't think there was an FX3 in 96. I have the selective real time dampening option and the code is not FX3, it's F45 and those bad boys are pricey. I switched to Z51 Bilsteins and am happy with them.

*89x2* said:
Not sure what the situation would be, if you mixed shocks however, the 89-91 are interchangeable and so are the 92-96 shocks. Acuator is the same from 89-96 so I honestly have no idea... :confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom