Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

FYI, price of R12 has apparently gone down...

*89x2*

Just an FYI as the summer heat boils the refrigerant out of your system (not really, but... )

I was talking with my mechanic today who told me that to recharge my (R12) AC system, it would cost $30.00/lb for the refrigerant - a far cry from the $100.00/lb it was at a few mos. ago :eek:hnoes

He also said it was only available in 30lb containers ;shrug

Is there some substitute, or has supply remained constand with demand going down as older cars are taken off the road?? :confused

I believe the demand has dropped considerably. R-134a was in most cars by the 1995 MY. I've been looking at the 1 lb cans on craigslist a bit as my car needs a recharge. I've seen them in the $10-30 range.

You might stock up on a few cans of R-134a, as it will likely soon be replaced.

A couple of weeks ago, The local a/c store had one case of R12 left. They wanted 20.00 each can. I already have several hundred cans so I passed. R134A is now priced at about 80.00 for a 30 lb. container. Last summer it was at 300.00 for a 30 lb. container. I am a packrat and save everything. It paid off of the R12. I would try not to convert to R134A if possible. The R12 is better in a R12 original equiped vehicle.

A couple of weeks ago, The local a/c store had one case of R12 left. They wanted 20.00 each can. I already have several hundred cans so I passed. R134A is now priced at about 80.00 for a 30 lb. container. Last summer it was at 300.00 for a 30 lb. container. I am a packrat and save everything. It paid off of the R12. I would try not to convert to R134A if possible. The R12 is better in a R12 original equiped vehicle.

Apparently the previous owner had done the conversion. I am sure there are things to look for but honestly, I did not see it. The service advisor called and said the car just needed a recharge of refrigerant. Got it cool for Carlisle! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom