Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gadorback tire for 84-88

ggaagg57

Corvette
68,502 convt. ,- &81,4speed ,80 4 speed, 70 454
gatorback tire for 84-88

are there that many 255-50-16 vr gadorbacks out there for sell for cars to be judged on , and if not how much would they count off , for not having them. i was told they only went about 17 k miles or so. and what would new one s be worth when you found them.

C4 Shoes...

ggaagg57,

I checked Mid Americas website and I couldn’t locate the Goodyear Gatorbacks. Also checked The Tire Rack, I couldn’t find the tires there either. Try calling Tire Rack and your Goodyear tire stores, more than likely, Gatorbacks are long gone... but ya never know. You could also check on ebay too.

I don’t know what type of deduction would be incurred for non-OEM tires in a judged event. Maybe someone who is up to speed on judging will chime in.

I do know that the tire life expectancy on a Corvette is dictated by how heavy a right foot and how hard the owner likes to take corners! 17,000 miles are entirely possible on the Gatorbacks if the rubber isn’t taxed from light to light. I had an ‘86 with 20,000 miles on my Gatorbacks and they were in good condition.

For you reference:

Mid America Designs website:
http://www.madvet.com/

The tire Rack website:
http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

B17Crew
:w

I recently tried to find a set of gatorbacks for almost two months with no luck. They have not been produced in 255/50/16 for quite a while. No mail orders that I could find had them. You can buy them used from a number of vendors, but buying used tires site unseen can be problematic. I know many people that have found NOS Eagle GTs at swap meets and have seen them on ebay. I believe the set on ebay sold for $750.00. I am sure that NOS gatorbacks are out there.

Tracy Performance Parts in Detroit sells used Gatorbacks for about $150.00

1984 gatorbacks had recessed letters (very hard to find), while later years had raised letters.

I actually went with Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra tires (currently the only tire Goodyear makes in 255/50/16). They ride much better than their reviews would lead you to believe. I run 38psi in the front tires and 35psi in the rear tires. Good steering response. Good Luck, Norwood

Curious, because earlier this year MAD had them listed. The person I spoke to didn't know whether they were nos, reissues or repros. Perhaps, it was an error.

The originals lasted 30K or more, and when I finally got rid of mine (with more miles than that) it was because the then ten year-old rubber had aged to the point it was dangerous when cold or on wet pavement. There was still plenty of tread. NOS sets might well have the same problem.

If they're no longer available, it's a pity. The Z51's just don't work right without them, imo.

Dunno about judging.

gatorbacks

the reason i asked about them is because i have a set of them that have never been on wheel s they still have the sticker on the tires and the little thin line o f yellow that gos around the center of the tire , they look perfect no rot or cracks, but i didnt no what to ask for them. if used one r a 100. that give me a starting point , thanks for replys. ggaagg57

I agree, gatorbacks are the best for the Z51. They were designed for and work well with that suspension.

If I had known that you had a set for sale a couple of months ago, I would have made an offer. The 17" gatorbacks are still available from Corvette vendors new, but I have not seen the 16" one for a while. I might be mistaken though. Norwood

I can't tell you what they are worth or what to ask, sorry.

Just remember that the fact they haven't been mounted doesn't mean they're still good for everyday use. Even unused tires age and can become brittle, and unforeseen problems can occur while the tires are being installed or after they have been mounted. That's not including the tire performance issues previously mentioned.

This may mean little for a car that is only shown and not driven, how usable they actually are will depend in part upon when they were made. Worst case scenario, they could be 20 years-old, and I don't have the coding info at this point.

Not trying to scare you (or anybody else). Just trying to alert you to potential issues. FWIW.

tires

i would have to say they would be for show , i have a set of red line non dot, tires for a 68 in new condis , but my 502 would make soup out of them , but they are correct tires for show or collector car, and they are on ag wheels , gators ,,,, for someone who want to be judged , get another set of wheels , and use them for shows , george

I have the set of original Gatorbacks that came off of my 89 (17 inchers) and have been curious about what they might be worth. Still have ab out half of the tread, but they do have small cracks. Would (should) only be used for shows.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom