Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Garages

redvet1978

Corvette
1978 Corvette
I am redoing my garage and looking for some suggestions. If anybody has pictures of their finished garages I would love to see them.

theres lots of very impressive garages out there that could double a recreation rooms or dens, but a real garage in my opinion needs enought room to work on a car or two and enought space for storage all the tools that requires.(AND THOSE TOOLS) IM constantly cleaning mine and putting tools away, or Id never find a darn thing, but its never going to look like some places I see on line that appear to be advertizements for expensive cabinetry, more than a working repair or performance shop.
Im always impressed with those garages that have the expensive stainless or wood cabinets, and tile floors, they look spectacular, but a decent shop has several tool boxes and a lift of some kind even if its just a kwiklift
http://www.kwiklift.com/Options.htm

or on the low end several good jack stands and a couple floor jacks
now IM not about to say any garage is better or worse than the next one, we all build, buy, or use the best we can afford, but a real SHOP, will look WORKED IN, not sloppy or dirty, but there sure will be signs that theres been a few cars in and out of it and at least a trash container full of parts packaging and busted/worn components some place near bye, and indications the tools got used and the floor jacks have been rolled across the floor.

an epoxy coated floor and great lighting are a huge advantage to getting the shop looking clean and bright, and a clean bright shop makes things easier to work on, but don,t let JUST a shops appearance alone be your only indication of the quality of work that gets done,the MECHANICS SKILLS DO COME INTO PLAY HERE AS WELL AS THE SHOPS APPEARANCE, if its a dumpster you can be reasonably sure you don,t want work done there, but if you can eat off the floor and shelfs Id doubt theres much actual work going on either. and shop tools like welders,grinders,drill presses, and jobs like engine assembly and radiator repairs, and tune ups generally leave some indication that work was done recently!
keep in mind guys generally do the best they can,and are proud of thier shops, but thier budget may not allow some of the nicer touches, like tile, or cabinetry.

what you need
as much floor space as possiable,that can be securely locked up
decent tool storage
a flat dry floor
protection from weather
as many quality tools as you can buy, beg, or borrow
decent referance materials and safety equipment
hopefully a lift
good lighting
almost everything else is optional

Here are a few shots of my garage. I picked up the cabinets that I’m using for workbenches from an auction; they hold a ton off tools and were very cheap.
I had all open shelving at first but I got a great deal on some Gladiator cabinets from a store that was closing.
I found my like new air compressor for next to nothing, the guy bought it but never put 220 in his garage to run it.
I just put in the Rotary 4 post lift last month; another great deal customer ordered it but changed his mind. :W
I guess my point is that if you take your time and keep your eyes open you can put together a nicely equipped shop on a budget. :beer
DSCN1943.jpg

DSCN1980.jpg

DSCN0620.jpg

DSCN1985.jpg

DSCN1930.jpg

you gotta be loving your lift!!!!!

Coming from someone that also has a lift in a garage twice as big as mine, I’m sure your right. :thumb

Coming from someone that also has a lift in a garage twice as big as mine, I’m sure your right. :thumb

i dont know how i operated without it for all them years, you will wonder the same real soon. hey what is that trap for on the floor by your work bench?? rats, mice, goffers??;LOL

hey what is that trap for on the floor by your work bench?? rats, mice, goffers??;LOL

I just don’t want this guy to get a hold of my ZO6. :D
ratfink.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom