Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gas gauge problem on 75

B

BobbyBJr

Hello again,
Tonight I went out and uncovered the Vette and cranked it because the wife is off tomorrow and she wants to take it for a drive. While playing around with it, I noticed that the gas gauge is pegged all the way to the right as far as it can go. It is almost horizontal it has went so far. I seem to recall it doing that for just a bit a few weeks ago before returning to normal, but tonight it isn't moving at all. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to check the thing and narrow down the problem?

thanks,
Bobby

Sounds like the wiring between the gauge and the tank sending unit could be shorted to ground. I would first try disconnecting the wire to the tank sender at the tank. If the gauge then drops to empty your problem is the sending unit. If there is no change (still pegged at full) try disconnecting the sending unit wire at the gauge. If there is a change then ther has to be a grounded sending wire somewhere between the gauge and tank. :)

All the electrical connections are on the top of the tank. You will need to remove the gas lid and chrome bezel so you can get your fingers under there. The plug connections should be on the right, as you face the front of the car. Turn on the iginition key and wiggle the connectors while looking thru the rear window at the gauge.

POWER OFF!!!!

And PLEASE!!!! remember to disconnect the battery first when checking the wires on top of the gas tank/filler cap area. Be sure that they are clean and connected correctly and tightly. Then reconnect the battery start your checking again.

.............. Nut

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had time to take a look, but I will sometime later this week and post results.

Bobby

Keep the tank full till you get it figured out. Walking for gas with the little red can sure bites it.

Just a pet peeve of mine I guess, I dont feel the least bit sorry for anyone who runs out of gas.

resto75 said:
Keep the tank full till you get it figured out. Walking for gas with the little red can sure bites it.

Just a pet peeve of mine I guess, I dont feel the least bit sorry for anyone who runs out of gas.

oh man, that brings back memories. I used to have a very nice 56 Chevy 2 door hardtop that didn't have a working gas gauge. Yeah, I admit I walked a time or two, but that was in my younger days...:).

thanks,
Bobby

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom