Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

gas gauge

D

dramo1

hi, my gas gauge acts weird at about half a tank..the gauge will drop down to one or two lines and tell me i could go about 7-10 miles ..in reality i have about half a tank.drives me nuts..86 coupe 77000 mi..any ideas

thanks

It Need's a new sending unit!!:upthumbs junk!!

Wow it seems that everything is junk to gmjunkie tonight.

He is most likely correct about the sending unit though. I would disconnect the connector at the sending unit and use a rheostat to check the rest of the circuit and the gauge before replacing the sending unit.

Good luck,

I replaced my sender recently, and it is a very expensive part. They say you can possibly repair it by cleaning the rheostat windings - do some searching.

Bob

NC2Stay said:
I replaced my sender recently, and it is a very expensive part. They say you can possibly repair it by cleaning the rheostat windings - do some searching.

Bob
I got new's for ya,If I go to the Trouble of Pull'n the Tank!! A NEW one is Go'n in!! ;) junk!!

My 90 has started to do the same thing. Figured the sender has gone bad. Anyone have any tips to make the job easier? Thanks, Marty

The only tip I would offer is that since the car runs, run the gas out of it before dropping the tank. Usually the tank is being dropped due to a fuel pump being bad and it usually is full of fuel. You are lucky because you can empty it without the mess and hassle of siphoning or otherwise draining and dealing with the gas.

Since you don't have a gas gauge to know when it is empty, get a container that you can seal very well and fill it with gas. Have a funnel or whatever is necessary to put the gas from the container into the tank. Run the car empty, then put in enough gas from the container to get home.

To me getting the gas out of the tank and dealing with it is the worst part of the job of pulling any tank. But that's just me.

Good luck,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom