Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"Gathering of Eagles"

boostedmaxPSI

Corvette
'92 SNAT435 Yellow aerobody 'vert // 1988 #57 B2K
I don't think I need to ask if anyone remembers this event however, there were two Callaway Twin Turbo Corvettes that attended the event. There was a white development car and the soon to be "Sledghammer". It was my understanding that the white car ran an avg 222MPH while the car #51 went 191MPH.

Was car #51 basically stock minus catalytic converters? I believe it still had the 4+3 transmission.

Does someone have any pictures of this car before the BIG conversion if it was stock?

What happened to the white car? I understand that it too had some similar features that the upcoming "Sledehammer" used such as front mount intercoolers. Any pics as well?? Was the white car MY1987 or MY1988?

br

As I was told, the white car was property of GM and had to be returned. It was loaned for R-D/development. As with most all GM mules, it was crushed...yes I know it is hard to imagine, but I have not heard otherwise.

I had inquired about that car with the folks at Callaway and was told it was crushed also. TOO BAD that was one fast car TopGun
As I was told, the white car was property of GM and had to be returned. It was loaned for R-D/development. As with most all GM mules, it was crushed...yes I know it is hard to imagine, but I have not heard otherwise.

So, was it a "Callaway" or a GM Twin Turbo product that was turned over to Callaway to figure out how the B2K turbo's and intercoolers would ultimately be laid out? What year was it? I know that the turbos were neither IHI or Rotomasters. I think they were Rayjay.

Also, any idea on the modifications to the Silver B2K #51? Just curious as to what stage of devolopment it was in when it hit 191MPH with a 4+3. My thought was at the time of "A Gathering of Eagles" it was too new to have much done to it.

Anyone else??

I had inquired about that car with the folks at Callaway and was told it was crushed also. TOO BAD that was one fast car TopGun

When inquiring about Top Gun was it just to inquire or to purchase? Can't seem to find much info about this legendary car.

br

When inquiring about Top Gun was it just to inquire or to purchase? Can't seem to find much info about this legendary car.

br

For me, it was mostly to buy it - but partially, just curious ;squint:

Has anyone actually seen this car in person? What were some of the devolpment differences from a production B2K?

Frank, if you buy the Sledgehammer DVD from Callaway there is a big portion about the Top Gun car. Its a good watch. :beer

Frank, if you buy the Sledgehammer DVD from Callaway there is a big portion about the Top Gun car. Its a good watch. :beer

Yup! Seen it a couple of time however, I don't recall any shots of the motor. Actually we got side tracked here with the Top Gun car.

What I'm wonder is what was #51's build status? Meaning was it all B2K minus cats that ran 191MPH or was there more work done. The reason I ask, it is stated in a lot of articles that the B2K was only good for 176MPH for convertibles and 187MPH for coupes with a .68 OD unit. Then there's the 191.70MPH with "aerokit" spoiler. This info is also in my Callaway's Owners manual. My car is a very early '88 so that means at time of print there was no Aerobody from Callaway yet.

I use to assume that this was the Callaway AeroBody kit that was always being mentioned however, I think this was the GM installed GTO kit that Callaway was referring to. Before Sledgehammer was Sledghammer, it was just a 1988 Callaway B2k with a GM body kit that went 191.70MPH. I believe the cats were removed, was the boost also tweaked just a tad? Who knows.

What are your thoughts on the 191.70MPH with "AeroKit", was it the GM kit that allowed the 191.70?

br

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom