Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gauge(s) Malfunctioning

raybee

Corvette
1981 Dark Bronze 4 Speed
I replaced the spark plugs about two weeks ago...about a week ago i noticed problems w both the water temp gauge and the ammeter. after a few mins both immediately get pinned to the right but the car runs fine...is there a short? maybe i moved a wire while i was under there?
...also did not put the passenger side heat shied back on...not sure if that would cause anything to misread...any thoughts?
Thanks, Ray

check your wiring along the drivers side of the vette,
both of those,are along that side...
the water temp has a sensor in the head between cyl's1 & 3
the amp gauge is the wire from the back of the alternator...
Good Luck!!!

First think I check when a gauge isn't working are the connectors at the engine like Bill says. And normally that also is the problem :)

Greetings Peter

check your wiring along the drivers side of the vette,
both of those,are along that side...
the water temp has a sensor in the head between cyl's1 & 3
the amp gauge is the wire from the back of the alternator...
Good Luck!!!

Thanks, I will look on the driver's side for those connection - can you tell me what the wire w/ the two-prong plug is, passenger side?

First think I check when a gauge isn't working are the connectors at the engine like Bill says. And normally that also is the problem :)

Greetings Peter

Thank you as well, so you have had this problem yourself?

The connector on the passenger side between 6 & 8 cylinders is a temp switch.

Also look at the rectangular connector on the firewall just to the right of and behind the distributor. It's teh starter extension harness- all the power for the car runs thru that one connector. It's known to corrode, get hot and melt the plastic. Losing one or more connections thru that can and does cause all kinds of little weird problems.

The connector on the passenger side between 6 & 8 cylinders is a temp switch.

Also look at the rectangular connector on the firewall just to the right of and behind the distributor. It's teh starter extension harness- all the power for the car runs thru that one connector. It's known to corrode, get hot and melt the plastic. Losing one or more connections thru that can and does cause all kinds of little weird problems.
Thanks, but now i'm confused - if the connector on the passenger side between 6 & 8 cylinders is a temp switch, what is the water temp sensor in the head between 1 & 3 cylinders thar Bill had referredn to?

oil pressure is under the distributor at the back of the engine.
between 1 & 3 is the temp.

oil pressure is under the distributor at the back of the engine.
between 1 & 3 is the temp.
Thanks again....and one more time for clarification - what is the wire w/ the two-prong plug is, passenger side?

Thanks again....and one more time for clarification - what is the wire w/ the two-prong plug is, passenger side?
If the wire you are talking is relatively heavier gage (12 GA), and if it is grouped with the starter, then it is likely to be the wire leg that connects the engine electrical fan temperature switch. When the coolant temperature reaches 250 (or so, I believe), it will complete ground and the electrical fan in front of mechanical fan and behind radiator will kick in. :)

The temp sensor on the right side between 6 & 8 is for the radiator fan.

I replaced the spark plugs about two weeks ago...about a week ago i noticed problems w both the water temp gauge and the ammeter. after a few mins both immediately get pinned to the right but the car runs fine...is there a short? maybe i moved a wire while i was under there?
...also did not put the passenger side heat shied back on...not sure if that would cause anything to misread...any thoughts?
Thanks, Ray
Thanks for all the suggestions but it winds up that it was the alternator that went bad....guess it was a coincidence. The system was way overcharging and now all is back to normal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom