Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

general brake question

94conv.

Corvette
1994 red convertible
Just had a brake job done on my 96 GMC truck, two new rotors in the front, turned the rear drums and new pads, packed bearings for a grand total of $471.00. It is cold and nasty outside and I didnt want to mess with it but I feel like I just got poked. Does it sound like it to you guys to?

For the area I live it sounds about right, but it's expensive in Southern Cal.

I do my own, I get a better job & save money.

I just did new pads all around (NAPA best ceramic) plus 1 rear caliper & rotor plus full flush (wife's truck - "Honey the brakes sound funny") for about $175 & my labor 1.5 hour.

If you can't or won't do it yourself then the price is great at any cost.
I never complain about price ,only if the job is not done right .:upthumbs

94conv. said:
Just had a brake job done on my 96 GMC truck, two new rotors in the front, turned the rear drums and new pads, packed bearings for a grand total of $471.00. It is cold and nasty outside and I didnt want to mess with it but I feel like I just got poked. Does it sound like it to you guys to?

94conv.,

I paid $800ish (Canadian funds) for brakes all around on my 2000 GMC. I was told the cost was so high because GM still held a patent on the parts?? But I agree, snowing a blowing…what’s it worth to you?

Seems about right

I don't think that's out of line. You didn't say if it was 4 wheel drive or not, I think not since later 4-wheelers have IFS and the rotors come off easily-and you don't pack wheel bearings.

But, figure rotors are about $100 each. Pads around $60. You're halfway there. Labor 3-4 hours at $50/hour or so. Then you've got the rear shoes, wheel seals, and dreaded sales tax. You didn't say if they put in new brake hardware (springs, etc. for shoes, new rubbers/bushings for calipers), and don't know if they rebuilt the calipers or maybe just bled them clear. If they did that, too, definitely a fair price. If not, still not far from reasonable.

I wouldn't get too spooled up. It's pretty close. :)

Rick

Thanks guys, I feel a little better now. And since the truck is fixed, I can focus on getting the optspark and waterpump fixed on the vette. Thanks again guys.

You pay for what you get!!!!!!!!!

When it comes to brakes, l leave it up to the pro's and as far as the price it really doesn't matter as long as when you put your foot down and you stop, it's worth the price.

Alan

Money Vs. Brakes....Brakes are for your safety and if you can not do it yourself, you had no choice. You made the correct decision!!:pat

The pricing, doesn't sound out of line.

Remmber you are paying for a SERVICE in addition to the parts. And service is not like buying a bag of sugar.
-=Rick

BlackNBlue95 said:
The pricing, doesn't sound out of line.

Remmber you are paying for a SERVICE in addition to the parts. And service is not like buying a bag of sugar.
-=Rick

This is EXACTLY correct! As we say here in Florida...don't gator-arm this! ;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom