Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

General Motors FilesTrademark for “ZR1” – New High Performance Corvette Coming?

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Last week Car and Driver magazine shed some new light on the much-rumored mid-engine Corvette that is supposedly in development at an Area 51-like hangar within GM’s Milford proving grounds. We posted a couple hypotheses about what GM could be developing.

One belief is that the C7 Corvette generation will go out with a bang by releasing a high performance model called the “ZR1”. The other belief is that the mid-engine Corvette currently under development could either be called the “ZR1”, or the “Zora” in honor of the Corvette’s first Chief Engineer, Zora Arkus-Duntov.

The same day we posted our hypotheses here on the Corvette Action Center, GM filed the “ZR1” trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
<figure id="attachment_53173" style="width: 760px" class="wp-caption aligncenter active">
General-Motors-ZR1-Trademark-Application-USPTO.jpg
<figcaption class="wp-caption-text">ZR1 Trademark filed by GM</figcaption></figure> GM’s May 16[SUP]th[/SUP], 2016 application is assigned serial number 87038207 and specifies that the mark will be used for “Motor land vehicles, namely, automobiles”.
Just because GM trademarks a name, doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll come out with a product using that name. However, given all the rumors floating around about a high performance Corvette coming called the “ZR1” and the fact that the name ZR1 and ZR-1 has been used a few times before, we can only surmise that the rumors may be gaining some truth!

I'm more shocked that they haven't trademarked ZR1 before now than that they finally did so... :chuckle

Mac

I'm more shocked that they haven't trademarked ZR1 before now than that they finally did so... :chuckle

Mac

That's the first thing that went through my mind too.

Tom

Did someone at Corporate finally decide to see if the ZR1 was trademarked?
Maybe they should check to see if GM is trademarked. :w

Roger

Zr1 and midengine corvette

Corvette lost me when the price went over 100k bought an old one, will buy a Mercedes-Benz, jaguar, or other none american car. All cheep plastic as top gear says.

• Admin
Corvette lost me when the price went over 100k bought an old one, will buy a Mercedes-Benz, jaguar, or other none american car. All cheep plastic as top gear says.
Have you driven a new one?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom