Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Getting Under Your C5

P

purtyvette

Getting under your C-5

Any ideas on getting under your c-5 for oil changes, just look at things, inspections, etc.

My "Rhino Ramps don't "cut it". The front air dam hit the ramps prior to the wheels making contact. It's even too low at the jack points illustrated in the owner's manual to get a small floor jack under.

What works here, short of taking it to a garage every time. Many of us don't trust anyone but ourselves to do oil changes.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I love this site............

Agreed, they are a little heavy, but I mounted 2x4 sized shelf brackets on one wall of my shed. I can set the center section on the bracket and then the ramp on the center section. It doesn't take up any floor space there. The wheel blocks all stack on top of one another, so they take up 1'x2' of floor space.

The ramps I made are a take off on Mikes ramps. I had seen his last year, but when I went to build mine this summer, could not find his website. So I built them from what I remembered about his design, single 2x10 for the base, with double step rise. I used lumber that I had lying around and I was going for 12" total lift so they look a little different, but still effective.

I can use the ramps without the rest of the platform like Mike's.

I have the RINO ramps and to get over the approach angle use some left over or new pieces of 1 X 4 wood scraps. Place the pieces (2) in front of each ramp, both flat ont the floor and perpendicular to the ramps. Your front air dam will still make contact but there should be no damage. I have had my Vette AKA "Maria" up on these ramps twice now and i would never take her to a strange man to have her oil changed...ha...ha...ha.

Don't forget to wave!:Steer

Getting under your C-5

Mike - Great set of ramps and detailed plans. Thats what I love about this site. I've been reading it for a number of months now and everyone is so helpful and full of great ideas. Keep up the good work!
Ed

Re: Getting under your C-5

purtyvette said:
Any ideas on getting under your c-5 for oil changes, just look at things, inspections, etc.

My "Rhino Ramps don't "cut it". The front air dam hit the ramps prior to the wheels making contact. It's even too low at the jack points illustrated in the owner's manual to get a small floor jack under.

What works here, short of taking it to a garage every time. Many of us don't trust anyone but ourselves to do oil changes.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I love this site............

I had the same issue. Here is what I did...

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

Kevin

To raise the entire vehicle high enough to facilitate getting your floor jack under the car simply make the following:

Use either 2 x 8's or 2 x 10's cut to a length of around 12-18 inches. Make four of these. Bevel one side to an angle of 45-60 degrees.

Place one of these in front of each wheel, pull the car up onto them. This will raise the car 1.5 inches. You should have no problem getting your floor jack under the car to either the side rails or the front or rear crossmembers.

You can also place two of these in front of your Rhino ramps, they will raise the car high enough so your front end doesn't scrape the ramps. I wouldn't worry about the spoilers hitting the ramps, they flex enough to prevent any damage.

Go to a new house construction site and pick up the wood from the scraps.

MAC

the one drawback to my DIY ramps are that they weigh 30lbs each.

I like the massiveness of them (I tend to over-build); but some prefer lighter ones.

The gentle slope keeps any part of the car from touching, but this made the ramps 5 feet long. Not for everyone :)

If you don't want ramps, you need a floor jack with a low pad height and a set of 2x4s. Drive the end of the car you want to lift up on the 2x4s then lift the car on the suspension crossmembers.

For more details on jacking and other C5 DIY issues see: http://www.idavette.net/hib/C5diy/c5diy1.htm

Getting under your c-5

Thanks so much to all for the info, it is unbelievable, the amount of good info available just for the asking.

Not being able to reply to others with as much info as received, could make a person feel selfish.

Regards,

Tom

Re: Getting under your C-5

purtyvette said:

The air dam is meant to scrape on things. It's hard to not scrape it on driveways and parking lot entrances. The plastic on the ramps won't hurt the dam any worse than concrete. I just have my kids put their feet behind the Rhino ramps to keep them from moving, and drive on up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom