Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Glass Top Damage

98BlackV ette

The glass top on my car was struck by a piece of construction debris from a dump truck while commuting to work on I-75. The film on the glass top was skimmed off, and an attempt to wetsand off the remainder of the film was unsuccessful.

I was told that the film could be buffed off and the glass repolished to eliminate the swirl marks.

Has anyone heard of this?

If so, would you tell me of any places I could have this done (I live in Tampa, Florida.)

Thanks.

If Only...

You know that saying about hindsight...?

I actually chased down the truck that clobbered me, got his information, reported him to DOT and called his company to report him...now if I had just taken that extra step to report this to my insurance company, I would not be in this situation!

This incident happened a year ago. It didn't bother me about the damage, but now that I am getting ready to sell my car, the new owner may not be so willing to overlook this detail.

You know, it won't hurt if I call my insurance company...you never know!

Thanks.

Hi there,
Please remember that the glass is not really glass, but LEXAN.
It is a strong durable plastic, that has been used on c5 from the beginning.
It is possible that the marks could possibly be buffed out, however, I do not concur with this course of action. Here is why.
As you buff the Lexan, you are removing material, which will weaken the plastic. Not only that, there will be a visual distortion of the Lexan when you look through it. And, if the marks are near a bonding point to the magnesium frame, the heat could stress the bonding of the Lexan to the frame.
As long as you are fine with these 3 points, rock on. If not, attempt www.gmpartdirect.com for a purchase price of a new top.
Let us know if we can assist further, as adjustment is just a important as the top itself.
c4c5:hb

Thanks Again!

Thanks for your response re the Lexan top. I did some research on this material and found a product, Novus Plastic Polish #2, that seems effective to at least remove the wet sand and hazing damage I caused by attempting to remove the clear coat.

I agree with your assessment regarding the heat generated from using a buffer.

The cost of these tops is steep...$1,200 from GM, but around $750.00 if I get one from a salvage yard, or by bidding on E-Bay.

Another option I am pursuing is locating an airplane window repair tech. Most aircraft windows, as well as race cars, are made of Lexan and because they are expensive to replace, the FAA has approved certain repairs that ensure the Lexan strength is not compromised. There is a tech in Orlando that charges around $500.00, but that price is to meet FAA standards.

Since I don't fly my 'Vette (going airborn over bumps does not count :)), I figured I could negotiate this price down.

This is an interesting line of work since top defects seem to be endemic among both C4 and C5 coupes.

Have you heard anything like this?

Thanks.

98BlackVette

Hi there,
I never even thought of the airplane repair thought. That could be a viable solution. Give it a shot, and please, let us know how you do.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

It Sounded Good, But...

I received an e-mail response to my inquiry from Derek Harkema who is familiar with the Lexan airplane windows. According to Mr. Harkema, the problem with the C5 tops is no one has found a way to retint them once they are repaired. It never occurred to me that buffing would remove the tint. I just assumed the entire panel was tinted throughout...so, live and learn. :(

Thanks again for your many responses to my threads...owning this car has definitely been an education. And as with all educations...it's been expensive!

Maria

Wow, this is a very interesting topic. I have the Glass, I mean Lexan top. I guess I better make sure it does not get damaged. It has a small chip in it from a rock, but other than that it is ok.

New Update on the Lexan Roof

My initial post mentioned that I attempted to wetsand the clear coat off, but in doing so, I messed up the Lexan underneath (swirl marks and clouding). I just purchased a great product called Novus #2 for fine scratches that eliminated all the damage. So...my original idea to wetsand off the clearcoat BY HAND, not buffer, is the way to go.

But you need, like, a whole day! It's really similar to the way you would remove window tint. However, instead of reaching glass, you reach Lexan, which of course gets marred up so you need the Novus product as the final step.

If you have lot's of time (and I mean lot's), that may be the way to go. As for me, I have no time, so I decided to buy a used top. I was really lucky, because this same person also had OEM tires for my car that I'm buying as well...now for the leaf spring :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom