Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

glovebox door rebuild

skids

Corvette
64 coupe
Anyone know the procedure for replacing aluminum face on a glovebox door, 64 coupe, Thanks.

skids said:
Anyone know the procedure for replacing aluminum face on a glovebox door, 64 coupe, Thanks.

I'm sure the second go round is more fun, but the first time was....yuck.

The aftermarket suppliers sell kits that include little screws to replace the rivets that you have to drill out on the backside of the door. An instruction sheet comes with it.

Order a nameplate too as you'll probably mess up the original trying to remove it from the old aluminum.

:w

67HEAVEN said:
Order a nameplate too as you'll probably mess up the original trying to remove it from the old aluminum.

:w

name plate?
is that the tag that say:
Hello, my name is.........
;LOL

skids said:
I've got a copy of an article on how to replace the face without destroying the rivets, haven't tried it, but it looks like it'll work fine. Written by an NRCS guy, I'll e-mail you a copy if you wish. Keeps it looking original.

:)

67HEAVEN said:
I'd like to see it too, Ron................for the next time in another 37 years. :D

67HEAVEN at ComputerSupport dot ca

Thanks.
Done!

Thanks for comeback everyone. Ron, I sent you e-mail.

They're fairly easy to do but you must be careful or you'll drill through.
Most inserts come with the holes for a replacement emblem.Thats the best way to do it,replacement emblems come with studs and quick nuts to attach to the insert if not you will have to glue your old emblem to the front and they usually will fall off over time.
You should look into a new door-Trim parts is making them and they're mint.
You can't tell it from a factory door and it is "riveted" in the back and would pass the most crucial judging.They run 200-225 deping on the vendor.
Email me if you're needing one I can get you in touch with a guy.

Jason
VetteInstruments@aol.com

I rebuilt the door on my 65 with no major problems. Drilling the holes was the hardest task. I took the starting threads off an old tap and worked with it until I got it to work the way I wanted. The holes are very shallow and you have very little material to work with. I also used epoxy and peaned over what was left of the studs on the old emblem. I also applied epoxy on the screws that hold the back on. If you drill the screw heads after installation you can make them look like the old rivets. It has been in the car for over two years with no problems.

glovebox door re-build

Wonder where i might find a kit to restore my glovebox door for my 67 ?

Kd8pe said:
Wonder where i might find a kit to restore my glovebox door for my 67 ?
Corvette central, Corvette America, Corvette World, They all have em.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom