Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM 350 with Edelbrock 600 keeps stalling

manofsteel

Hello to you all. Have a problem....just got this '73vette coupe and already having engine problems. It is a 350 with the edelbrock 600 carb. Finally, got it to pass emisions test from motor vehicle. It was throwing out way to much CO. Took it to my favorite mech shop and they adjusted the carb and it passed, finally. On the way back from motor vehicle.... it felt like it wasn't getting gas and kept stalling. Ran good going to MV. Made it to the mechanic shop and it died altogether. There was no fuel in the sight gas filter. So they replaced the fuel pump and took it for a road test. Ran good. Brought it home (3 miles) and parked it. Tonite the wife and I decided to take it for our first ride together. No further than a mile did it start to stutter like it was out of gas. Pulled over and popped the hood and the sight fuel filter was full. So not the problem of not getting gas. If I waited a few minutes, it would start, but not rev up. Kept dying out when I tried to rev it up. Just barely got the car home. So, does anyone have any ideas what to do? Where to begin? Yes, it has gas and it is fresh. Help me if you can, anyone. All answers will be appreciated. Email me directly, if you would. Thanks all!
Jim
vagabondslr42@aol.com

Could be vapor locking.. make sure your fuel lines are not up against the hot engine heads or intake manifold, especially the glass filter.. that thing is a heat sucker. possibly the carb float is hung and not dropping to allow gas into the bowls. or maybe some junk got in the lines and plugging up the small passages that let fuel into the carb.

Went out to try to start it today and now the sight fuel filter is almost empty. NO LEAKS! So where did the gas go????? I must be missing something here! HELP!!!!!!
Jim;shrug

No smoke trailing. Burns clean. Now there is no gas in the sight fuel filter????!!!!
Any ideas? Thanks

If the fuel is draining back, then possibly you have a rubber (a couple of short rubber pieces of fuel line in the system) line that's dry-rotted which won't leak fuel, but that will allow the fuel system to suck air and the fuel to drain back after the engine is shut down. (The system will loose pressure.) On my '81, there are short rubber lines at the tank. It'll possibly be a "process of elimination" to find the problem, but the fuel system is a simple one on our C3s.
Although the way you explain it, the fuel didn't leak/drain back all the time. Is the situation consistent, where the fuel will drain back each time the engine is shut down or the fuel filter be empty/full when running?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom