Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM 502 EFI Ram Jet Engine in a C3

Bullshark, it looks like you have the old cast-iron stock exhaust manifolds on there.
:confused

Inirenberg, my question would be, "Why wouldn't the 502 BB fit? The cars, especially the early C3's had a BB available from the factory, so...??? Doesn't the 502 essentially still the use the exact same block & heads setup & dimensions, with only internal mods?

I too have been eyeing the 502ci for my car someday as well...

Yes, I do still have the stock exhaust manifolds on it for now. Really, those aren't as bad as you might think. I did port them and remove the internal A.I.R. bumps that were cast in even though 70 did not have them functional. I am sure the worst restriction comes from the sidepipes. I have been looking at something like the Stal BB sidepipe headers and sidepipes with spiral inserts. RamJet will not have Hookers on it like my 69....... my leg can only survive so much branding risk.:rotfl

Bullshark

Oh, yes, the 502 fits just like the 454 that was in it originally. Only two caveates,
1)The clutch pivot bar needs a bracket to hold the ball stud, since there is no boss or hole drilled for it. Scoggins Dicky has one for sale that works pretty good unless you want to use the stock oil pressure fitting. I had to drill a hole in the bracket to extend the fitting thru the bracket.

2) For some reason, GM chose to use cheap head bolts that have a tall bolt head. it interferes with exaust manifolds and headers. I purchased a set of Head bolts from ARP that have a lower head profile, which resulted in no clearance issues.

3) Yeh, I know I said two, but I just thought of this one. The 502 crate engines stock 6 quart oil pan sits pretty low allowing only ~3-3 1/2" ground clearance. An accident waiting to happen. I replaced it with a Moroso 7 quart winged pan.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom