Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM High-Tech Callaway

Corvette
89 White Cvt/Hdtp 89 Callaway #59
My new GM High-Tech came today and was surprised to see Eric's 87 Callaway TT and Aurora's ZR-1 Getting little drag strip time. Nice going and congrats guys!! :upthumbs :w Ike

Dang! The bookstore here that carries it doesn't have it in yet! They get magazines in on Tuesdays, but are pretty slow to put them out. Guess I'll have to go over there tomorrow! Thanks for the heads-up!

Is the article good?

Edit: Cover is up on their website:
0512coverzoom.jpg

Well, I got the magazine. It's pretty light on content, though. Mostly just pictures and the times the cars ran. They asked for a bunch of info from the owners and they pared it down quite a bit. It would have been interesting to have some info on what made each car special in the GM lineup.

They kept in my comment about the Callaway, though! :W :L

Picked up a copy @ Borders Books today and overall, I could not believe the SY/TY support contingency - a lot of Turbo GM cars there -

Bob (Aurora40), I thought your car looked sharp in the pics and I agree that they could have given better background on the specifics of some of the cars - intro was WAY light :ugh

It was also interesting that the top three quickest cars were the Corvettes - so much for GN's and TTA's having "supremacy" :eyerole but in the end, yep, Z06 held title :lou

Congrats on the event feature :w:v

I was surprised to see so many Syclones and Typhoons too. At the time, I was asking myself where the Camaros were (none at the track & none in this article) but obviously they had other plans for the entire issue because they did a serious write-up on an LS1 Camaro (not in the shootout).
The ZR1 is not king of the drags! And that is for sure! ;) Sorry Bob :) Woulda coulda shoulda… I shoulda had my car out on the street several days before the shootout to wring it out a bit. At the shootout, it was breaking up horribly in the upper rpms and was traced back to a distributor cap that was slightly fouled out. Oh well, so much for letting the car sit for a long time and then racing it! The whole shootout was wrapped up in between the rain clouds in less than 3 hours.. if we woulda had the whole day, a new distributor cap woulda been great!

There was definitely another .5 second and another 5mph in the car. Short shifting by 1500rpm to stay out of the misfires was killing the e.t. big time. The car is definitely a solid 12 second ride at over 110mph (even in the bad air that day)

Check out the 0-60 times. The Callaway really rolled out there. Shoulda been a couple tenths lower there too... oh well. Next time!

EricVonHa said:
The ZR1 is not king of the drags! And that is for sure! ;) Sorry Bob :) Woulda coulda shoulda…

That's right. The Z06 was. I came in 2nd.

Edit: I came across some scans of the cover and first page of the article. That's about as much writing as there is in the feature, other than the owner's comments:

Cover
Intro

Hmm, the url has a bad word in it, so I guess you'll have to edit it manually. It's not hard to guess...

Nevermind, replaced url with IP... :)

E, I'm sure people thought I was an idiot walking around Barnes and Noble showing off your Callaway to total strangers. The cool thing is when i got home and showed Kristen she was actually more interested in reading that then she ever has been in reading anything I have ever done. Kinda funny actually.

the Z06 was as expected the true "KING OF THE HILL" ;) the GNX and Bob's ZR1 ran exactly as I ran our old 90 ZR-1 (but with heavier saw blades) and our friend ran his stock GNX back in 88 at Norwalk. Glad to see the car hasn't lost anything sitting around for damn near 20 years!!

Knowing how you were pretty dead even with me back when I was running 113-114 traps I'm disapointed to see your car was acting up, but hell how many times did I tell you to drive that sucker!!!! Oh well can't change what happened. I was disapointed in the Sy/Ty contingent. My Sy went 13.77@100 on a hot day with a full tank of gas and my oversized rear in it. Funny the guy with the Sy said he boost launched it but babied it? How the hell do you baby a car (truck) after you have already boost launched it? It's a freakin auto, what did he half throttle the first half of the track? makes me want to by another Sy and make things right. The Black Ty that was 6th has a bigger intercooler and modified intercooler plumbing. You can tell by his hard piping and smooth coupler he has in place. They dont make hard piping for the stock intercooler. So I'm betting he had the boost jacked up a bit as well.

Anyway E, your car looked awesome. Certainly the most fearsome looking car there. How's that go?....A broken Callaway is the near equal to a well running ZR-1? Interesting:)

The Syclone owner had never tracked his car, I don't believe. He was apparently blowing his intercooler ducting (or something similar) off the car. I think he only made a couple of runs, also. The same with that LT4 Firehawk, he definitely didn't make a run representative of the vehicle.

As to your last comment, is it your's and Eric's goal to turn this into a smack talking thread? The cars ran what they ran. If Eric wanted to talk smack, he should have turned in a faster time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom