Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: GM Restucture/Bankruptcy

Dave

Corvette
2001 Pewter coupe
With all the news and speculation about a pending GM restucture or bankruptcy, there has been a lot of talk about which brands GM may or may not hold on to. What I haven't heard is: What product lines within the brands that GM keeps, will kept? My obvious interest is even if GM keeps Chevy, will the corevtte continue to be in its product offering (among others)?

It will be interesting to hear your opinions and any information you may be able to pass on.

Thanks,
Dave:w

I too, am interested in this issue. What models are going to be kept and which are rejected ? This is only my own opinion, but I would think that GM/Chevy would keep the Corvette. First off it is a model that sells itself, plus the racing component is a great marketing tool, and if what I read in the book, "All corvettes are Red" the corvette is basically cheap to build. I believe I read that the C-5 cost about 250 million from paper to a built car. So I would think that a 'New' GM would want to keep a market tool like the Corvette !

I think Corvette future depends a lot on what form GM will take.

If GM goes BK, splits into a "good" and "bad" GM (with the good being Chevrolet and Cadillac) only takes Government loans and ultimately pays back the government, then it's possible that Corvette may continue in some form we are familiar with.

If GM ends up exchanging debt (the government loans) for equity (shares of stock) and the United States taxpayers take a big stake in the company, it's hard to imagine GM being managed more out of political expediancy than good business sense. Washington is, for the most part, anti-automobile. With that mentality, you can bet that if the Corvette continues as a GM brand, the form it takes might be quite different than it is now...perhaps the brand will be affixed to some, smaller, government-approved, two-seat vehicle.

Another issue to consider is will the "traditional" Corvette customer want to buy a car which is made by a company that is, basically, a GSE, propped up with taxpayer money and in existence to support the United Auto Workers?

I'll add a comment about the Corvette "selling itself". That is true in a good economy, but not currently. Recently, I heard there are 8000+ Corvettes available for sale in the U.S. right now and some of them are 08s and a few are even 07s.

Whatever the outcome I only hope it does not led to what we saw in the late 70's and through the 80's where the car companies lost direction and pride and put out lots of garbage automobiles. It seams that whenever a market makes a drastic change' like we are in now, it takes the car companies several years to regroup and start producing a good product again. I only hope the Corvette remains in the Chevrolet line up, there has been a lot of good technology developed through the years in the racing program.

Whatever the outcome I only hope it does not led to what we saw in the late 70's and through the 80's where the car companies lost direction and pride and put out lots of garbage automobiles. It seams that whenever a market makes a drastic change' like we are in now, it takes the car companies several years to regroup and start producing a good product again. I only hope the Corvette remains in the Chevrolet line up, there has been a lot of good technology developed through the years in the racing program.
If the Federal Government is going to run GM, how can they put out anything but bland crap for automobiles?

A B**ch On Wheels

If the Government gets involved with running GM prepare yourself for the
Corvette Z0-Pelosi designed by a congessional committee.
Remo:cool

07-30-08Nancy%20Pelosi.jpg

Remo, cut that out .... you scared the hell out of me!!!

gm will keep 5 brands

they will keep cadallac, buick, chevy, and gmc.. pontiac will be a special order brand. gm is running two programs right now, they are looking and planning a short term bankruptcy, and they are looking at slashing workers hours, pay, and benifits.(which they anounced yesterday that they are cutting 9 weeks of production on almost all of its plants).gm does not want bankruptcy because even though it will break the unions back, it will also kill delphi, and customers faith in gm.gm will keep the bowling plant and make vetts, cadallac roadsters, and the hard top solstice.here is some very interesting news that has came across my desk. gm is building two plants in china, that will be building buicks and gmc.is gm looking to outsource its building of cars?:mad

they will keep cadallac, buick, chevy, and gmc.. pontiac will be a special order brand. gm is running two programs right now, they are looking and planning a short term bankruptcy, and they are looking at slashing workers hours, pay, and benifits.(which they anounced yesterday that they are cutting 9 weeks of production on almost all of its plants).gm does not want bankruptcy because even though it will break the unions back, it will also kill delphi, and customers faith in gm.gm will keep the bowling plant and make vetts, cadallac roadsters, and the hard top solstice.here is some very interesting news that has came across my desk. gm is building two plants in china, that will be building buicks and gmc.is gm looking to outsource its building of cars?:mad

so...how is it i heard on fox........less than a week ago that the XLR.......production will cease immediately?

i saw the book on leno last night.......amazon.com no longer sells "eyes wide open"

IF this is true - which probably is since it makes sense, my prediction will come true.... that the US taxpayer is giving GM billions with no strings attached so they can build cars in China. I mentioned this to a friend and he said so what as long as they make money. Its always the money thing. Jobs are going ovreseas leaving us vulnerable for soical and military disasters. The Chinese will thank us for giving them the rope to hang us.
In the 80's it was said that US industry will consist of being a warehouse for Japanese goods, now the US will be a warehouse for Chinese goods. We save a few pennies short term while building up our enemies production facilities - which are also suited for war production. Do you really think that China will be doing Buicks for too many years???

Very true, helping them build state of the art production plants, scary:W

The wicked witch of D.C.

She is helping run this country in the ground. She is one of the biggest wasters of tax payer money in the entire govt. She acts like she's the president with all her demands, perks, pork, and back room dealings. She's giving $30 Million dollars of tax payer money to a mouse in California. How does this help all the american workers losing their jobs??? She and her cronies are using all these bailout and stimulus programs to fund all their pet projects they've wanted for the past 20 years.

She know's nothing about the auto industry. It will be a bigger mess than it is now if she gets involved.

they will keep cadallac, buick, chevy, and gmc.. pontiac will be a special order brand. gm is running two programs right now, they are looking and planning a short term bankruptcy, and they are looking at slashing workers hours, pay, and benifits.(which they anounced yesterday that they are cutting 9 weeks of production on almost all of its plants).
According to the news report I heard tonight on my way home, Bowling Geen is still viable (or GM want it to be). It will only be shut down 1 extra week (total, 3), versus the 9 that most other plants will see. Someone is buying those vettes and XLRs (and God bless 'em, whoever they are!).

Makes little sense to me!! New ones are on lots all over the place. There are some 2008's. They are probably stockpiling them so that when they announce that there will be no more vettes, they can sell all of them at a premium???

;LOL She would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon;LOL

chinese corvettes

well, if the dollar is the bottom line then it will be chinese workers building the american corvette sports car. I would rather pay a little more and keep american workers building our own cars. Seems that squeezing every dollar until it screams is the very highest priority to everyone at all times no matter who suffers and what the consequences. I can assure you that I will never buy a chinese made corvette.... ever. It will not be american period. not interested.

I can assure you that I will never buy a chinese made corvette.... ever. It will not be american period. not interested.

I totally agree with this :thumb

Bill :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom