Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM revives performance mission

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
DETROIT -- The high-performance group at General Motors Co. has a broader mission again -- with a marketing veteran in charge who is eager to develop powerful small cars.

"We have a tremendous opportunity in the small and compact car market," said Jim Campbell, who was shifted last week to the new position of vice president of GM's performance vehicles and motorsports. He was moved over when GM marketing boss Joel Ewanick hired Chris Perry from Hyundai to run Chevrolet marketing.

On the eve of its trip through federal bankruptcy court last year, GM put development of high-performance small cars on ice.

GM now is considering expanding its performance line to its small cars, such as the four-cylinder Chevrolet Cruze as well as the next-generation Chevrolet Aveo. The Cruze goes on sale in the fall.

"Small cars and compact cars are going to be more and more important going forward, and we're looking at efficient performance," said Campbell, who has experience working with GM's NASCAR, American Le Mans Series and Grand-Am Road Racing teams. "We will work with those teams to provide performance variants."

Campbell said the performance division will "cross all brands" at GM but the primary emphasis will be on Chevrolet and Cadillac. While Campbell's division is not yet defined, he said he will build his own organization drawing from other GM departments.

Campbell will coordinate the performance-vehicle efforts at GM's marketing, engineering and performance parts and accessories departments.

The moves are led by North American boss Mark Reuss, who was executive director of the performance division from 2001 to 2005. It's also a reversal from the pre-bankruptcy days at GM when its High Performance Vehicles Operations unit was axed, and GM reassigned 60 engineers who had worked on special-edition, low-volume performance cars, such as V-Series vehicles for Cadillac and SS vehicles for Chevrolet, at the tech center outside Detroit.

At the time, GM said all performance projects were on "indefinite hold."

With the division strengthened, GM can look at some projects that were previously put on ice. "This is much better from an organizational perspective," Reuss wrote in an e-mail. "It's people working for a common goal under one strategic direction."

In marketing, Campbell said the aim is to improve the image of each brand.

He said: "If you come in and see a V-Series, you might not buy it, but you might consider something else" in the Cadillac showroom.

Automotive News

Hmmm.... I wonder where they're going with this?

-Mac

Great for a starter !

I really didn't think GM was ever going back to performance division vehicles after the bankruptcy. Not that there isn't a thick ribbon of customer desire to be tapped into in this market. I'm glad we as Americans arn't running for the hills anymore. Now with that said, I really don't want to see a Left over Pontiac Solstice step out of the doors of GM as the 2013 Corvette ! I think if they do a 'Chevy Camaro' on the Corvette, they'll alienate all of us who grew up with the Corvette from the sixties.

Cars will be smaller and more efficient in the future, but that doesn't mean the end of the performance car. Car makers in Europe make their living with fuel efficient boxes, but they still produce some pretty nice performance machines...maybe not hemis, but in the same neighborhood. I don't think I can even imagine what will be coming in 20 - 25 years. Hell, I couldn't imagine a small block 427 Vette that gets close to 30 highway mpgs back in the 80s.

First, let me say that Jim Campbell is a darn nice guy and he definitely bleeds bow-tie red. I base that on having met him several times back in the days when Chevrolet used to invite me to media functions. In recent years, since I was sort of black-listed, I've lost touch with Mr. Campbell who once was the Corvette's Brand Manager. He's also been Chevrolet General Manager and, of late, GM's marketing boss.

On the other hand, he's also they guy who handed down the uh...ok, it was just plain dumb...policy that GM employees must refer to the brand as "Chevrolet" and not "Chevy". Sheesh.

While I wish Mr. Campbell the best and hope for the best with him as the new go-to-guy for performance at GM, It's just hard for me to ignore that the original "GM Performance Division" was run by engineers such as John Heinricy and Mark Reuss whereas the new version is run by a marketing person. Also, the idea that the new performance entity at GM is really going to come out with some hardcore, high-performance models seems a bit "off message" considering Chevrolet's mission statements of the recent past that it, being the major brand for the new GM (a taxpayer funded jobs program for the UAW) was going to become much more environmentally-friendly and make cars like Volts and such. I, also, might add that the policy in re: performance cars which was set by senior management during the run up to GM's BK when the old Performance Division was dismantled was that all performance vehicle development was on indefinite hold. My understanding is that edict is still current. If I'm wrong on that, hopefully someone will correct me on that.

I say we give Jim Campbell the benefit of the doubt....but only for a year or so.

I'll add that we need more than appearance packages for Chevy Cruzes and reminders that the original GM Performance Division was responsible for the Cadillac CTS-V and the current ZR-1 and that the new version will "build" on that.

I freakin' dare Jim Campbell to build a true "club sport" version (my often-wished-for "0LT package") of the Z06. I want a car that's 100 lbs lighter, has a special 525hp LS7 and an interior with a basic AM-FM stereo, no navi, no auto air, cloth seats with manual adjusters and reduced sound deadening materials.

I double-dare him to build a true Aveo SS.

How 'bout it Jim?:thumb

I freakin' dare Jim Campbell to build a true "club sport" version (my often-wished-for "0LT package") of the Z06. I want a car that's 100 lbs lighter, has a special 525hp LS7 and an interior with a basic AM-FM stereo, no navi, no auto air, cloth seats with manual adjusters and reduced sound deadening materials.

Wasn't the original "mission" of the fixed roof coupe (FRC) which evolved into the Z06 supposed to be fewer options, faster & lighter? It's a niche but, properly marketed, it would fly...

-Mac

Wasn't the original "mission" of the fixed roof coupe (FRC) which evolved into the Z06 supposed to be fewer options, faster & lighter? It's a niche but, properly marketed, it would fly...

-Mac

That was sorta the mission of the FRC but...a "club sport" version, if it was to be a true, "track day" car would have to be devoid of all but the most basic options but have all the performance "goodies".

Tadge Juechter told me the last time I saw him that 1LT sells about 7% and that my fabled "0LT" would sell even less so such a package would hardly make a great business case.

Nevertheless, a 3000 lb car with a 530-hp, "LS8" engine (ie: the LS7 with forged pistons and a 7200 rpm valve train) and a track day capable suspension would be fun...to say the least.:chuckle

Very fun, I would say... :)

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom