Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

GM's buyers reject 'Obamamobile' Volt as campaign heats up

Preach to me about comparisons when you own both cars, and really compare all the factors, including cool, based on experience and real knowledge. I'll tell you this, my wife gets more thumbs up from other drivers in her Volt than I do in my Vette, and this part of the country is far from tree-hugging green. BTW - I'm not embellishing the prices to suit my argument to make a point...I just bought a Grand Sport. I didn't pay the sticker of $68k, but that was the retail price. BTW, a colleague of my wife just picked up a base Volt for under $38. Bottom line, I'll "lose" a lot more money owning my Vette toy than my wife will driving the wheels off the Volt. She just passed 20,000 miles, and we bought the car in late January. The bottom line is that a Vette owner talking about ANY car not making economic sense is way more than silly. You don't have to like the Volt, or GM or the concept, or the technology or Obama, but saying that buying the Volt makes less sense than buying a new Vette doesn't make any sense to me, and I like both cars.

You're absolutely right but you started the next level with: "A Volt at $42k makes as much sense as a Grand Sport at $70k". THAT was more than silly. You actually put down both cars with that statement. But you own both so that statement actually makes sense to you.

I also understand the "spread the expense" manufacturing. I just don't like to use tax money to help with those cost overuns at the time of sale. But I guess if somebody uses the $7,500 gov grant and can also depreciate, that could be a big advantage for a small, med, or larger business. (They'd better have all their customers within range) Courier Services, Parts Delivery Companies, etc.

For me I really don't "aspire" to own a Volt as some do. We have our opinions and I respect yours.

Chuck M

I am not sure if this is or already been a part of the discussion on the Volt or any Electric Car, and I feel as tho I am repeating myself, but :D

The "cool factor" ... Every car has a certain "cool factor" be it looks or technology or just plain cute or good mpg..

et.. January 1989 I bought a new GEO Metro LSI Stationwagon... I commuted 97 miles one way each day and used approx 2 gallons to work and 2 gallons back home. The GEO was a great little 3 cyc. that was very reliable, fun to drive and with the 8' fiberglass whip ant for my CB (with a 500 watt heater on it) even had a greater Cool Factor.. most truckers referred to me as a remote controlled skateboard and love using me as their nose ornament or as an aerodynamically aid ;LOL

I traded the GEO in January 1993 for a Ford Splash, the GEO had 183,000 miles on it and still looked new and drove like it... best air-conditioner I have every had in a car too... :dance

My point... finding fuel for the GEO was a no brainier.. Shell, Mobil, Chevron, Arco, 7-11 you get the picture..

The infrastructure is in place for GASOLINE, DIESEL, even for PROPANE...

Until the alternate fuel vehicles are more convenient to own and operate i.e. refueling and MP? increase's to a days driving distance or a certain distance / time that is more than across town... ONLY a certain market is available...

Being very pragmatic I would not spend the $$ on one. I would buy a similar priced all GAS operated vehicle and have the knowledge that I could go anywhere without concern about NOT being able to refuel...

The combination of Electric/Gas, Propane/Gas 85%+ Ethanol or any other combination is just that a tag on to a GAS engine..

I have dabbled in the PURE Electric Vehicles, during my work career (Electric Utilities) and have found the technology and quality to be sub standard to the gas driven cars. I would hope that more than the interior and exterior quality has improved over the years, but I don't see the real TECHNOLOGY driving the ALTERNATE FUEL VEHICLE industry improving much since the early 90's..

SO.. when the technology catches up with my requirements, and the nation or private industry builds an infrastructure to support them... I stand by my claim that the market will remain very limited and those that want one will buy one and those that don't will continue to envy the "Cool Factor" and continue to point in awe or jealousy to the value and lack of convenience and poo poo everything about it...

It is a no win discussion to those that support it and appears to be a no win discussion for those that don't like the idea... ;shrug

Just depends on which side of the tree your own if you really see the squirrel or not, ever try to go around the tree and see one ;) :happyanim:

Bud

A Volt at $42k makes as much sense as a Grand Sport at $70k. Who are we all crappin - anything more than a minimal econobox doesn't make "economic" sense. We spend huge money on our garage queens and quibble over whether the outlay for a Volt will have a return down the road. It's ridiculous. If you ever want a cold splash of reality, figure your new Vette's cost per mile over the first 5 years.:rotfl

You're right that neither a Volt nor a Corvette make any sense to own as an econobox will get a person from A to B just as effectively. In the minds of some, the cost of a Corvette can be justified by stating that's how much it costs to get from A to B as fast, as powerfully, as cool, as sexy, as manly, as (fill in the blank). To these people, paying two or three times as much for their car makes perfect sense.

I gather you're trying to make the point that a Volt has a similar set of attributes, but economics is not one of them. Help me out here- how do you rationalize having one?

I get Catbert's thought, I choose my vehicle on "what I want" price is secondary. To some a Corvette regardless of price is nut's, but we like them and are willing to pay the price for one.

If I were to buy a leading edge economy car I would consider the Volt, not because it is the best choice but because I happen to think they are cool and good for the enviroment too! In AZ I have considered going solar on the house and if I did that then the volt would be really appealing. A couple extra solar panels and the Volt would cost me nothing, just plug it in in my garage next to my two vette's

:beer
i10fwy

In AZ I have considered going solar on the house and if I did that then the volt would be really appealing. A couple extra solar panels and the Volt would cost me nothing, just plug it in in my garage next to my two vette's

:beer
i10fwy

So let's say that your idea catches on and everybody charges their Volts with 'free' electricity. Forgetting the cost of the panels and their payback period of 10 years or so, (longer than the life of the car) where will the money come from to pay for the roads they drive on?

No free lunch.

So let's say that your idea catches on and everybody charges their Volts with 'free' electricity. Forgetting the cost of the panels and their payback period of 10 years or so, (longer than the life of the car) where will the money come from to pay for the roads they drive on?

No free lunch.

This is a Volt. Let's remember we are talking about a car with so few sales, the impact would not be felt whatsoever!

Chuck M

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom