Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Going to look at a 57 for my unkle

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
Good morning every one, My unkle found a 57 he asked me to go look at with him.

Just looking for any quick tips I may not know to look for on the car. The car has a power folding top on it Was that available thru out the entire year? Is there any clues to tell if if it came with the car or was added on

cant wait to see it

I don't know if the power top was available all of 57, but here are a few pictures that might help. The top picture is a power top system on a '62 and the bottom one is the cylinders off a '59. If you look under the car you will see metal plates riveted to the body that hold the mounting screws for the hardtop brackets. Also note the extra holes for the hydraulic lines and wires.
62pwrtopmech.jpg

Note the special brackets for mounting the top lid cylinder.
powertop_cylinders.jpg

There is also a special bracket on the soft top frame. I don't know if the '57 power top was exactly the same as the '59 and '62 but I suspect it mounted pretty much the same.
powertop_bracket.jpg

Thanks Charles I will print out the pictures and bring them with me. As I understand I should also be looking for the GM rivits for a plate underneith the brackets.

PS say hey to Carrol and whats the latest on your car.

Thanks Charles I will print out the pictures and bring them with me. As I understand I should also be looking for the GM rivits for a plate underneith the brackets.

PS say hey to Carrol and whats the latest on your car.

Larry:

The plates I was referring to look just like the ones that anchor the normal trunk and soft top cover spring brackets and the gas tank anchors, seat anchors, etc., about 1/4" thick steel, rivets to hold them to the fiberglass.

The power tops are cool, but personally I think I can raise/lower one faster by hand. If the top does not work, there are a couple of people that rebuild these things, not cheap though. If the top is not working make sure that all the parts are there, motor, pump, cylinders, attachment brackets, hoses, and numerous limit switches. There is a good diagram in the AIM (at least in the '62 AIM).

I had to lay suspend work on my '59 for about a year due to another (non-Corvette related) project, but I am back on it now. You can check it out at: http://www.carols62.com/59

Were you at Carlisle last August? I didn't see your car.

Charles

Were you at Carlisle last August? I didn't see your car.

Well Kinda sortof

I got into town on Monday night and did the Hershey thing with the Kids and Wife. Friday & Saturday I had the car in the car carral but it was so hot I really did not get to spend allot of time there with the car and ended up leaving earley every day. I also didnt get around too much to visit folks because of the heat. And we all know Sunday was a bust because of the storm.

I checked your site for the updates and i really admire your craftmanship on the car. Your real creative and ambisious. I wish I had your energy

Thanks Again If he gets the car I will definatley post some pictures .

The power operated soft top was introduced in 1956 and all '56s were so equipped until about April of '56. Option RPO 473 was carried through the 1962 model year. In 1957 1336 Corvettes had the option. 158 were soft top only cars and the remaining 1178 had both tops.

Click on Tech Center in the above menu bar and you will find more '57 info in the Model Center.

Tom

Well we got the car yesterday, two owner car now a 3 owner car, Last owner had it about 20 years and put on about 200 miles. Its all there (well almost ) 1957 2-4'S power glide and power folding top

The odors that were coming out of thing were interesting to say the least, Nothing like an old car to test your sences. Quick tune up and she now runs like a clock.

I just ordered an aim for the car from Corvette America.

Looks like we are missing the valve assembly for the power top anybody have a suggestion where we can find one?

As you can see the car is black with silver coves can anybody tell me where the spot is your supposed to scrape with a quarter to find what the color actually was?

First thing he is going to do is go thru the brake system and add a dual master cylender.

272337716_sChu4-S.jpg

I will keep you posted as things come allong

PS whats better then getting a Corvette to restore?

Somebody else getting a vette and you get to help them restore it ;)

I'm not sure that '57 is the same but on '59s the crayon marking is behind the cardboard panel in the trunk next to the passenger side trunk lid hinge. On mine you can still see the word Black through the red respray without any scraping. Look closely in the second picture above the break line in the panel.

I know that I've seen the power top stuff advertised in the Driveline. You might check Paragon or Corvette Specialties of Maryland too or ask on the NCRS Tech Board. Someone will know. If you are not a member and can't find anything let me know. I'll check for you.

47b7d729b3127ccebbe2dcc765ea00000036100Aas2bVk4bt2LA

47b7d729b3127ccebbe2dca0e4bd00000036100Aas2bVk4bt2LA

You might want to check out my photo-illustrated tech article on C1 power top operation and restoration in the November '07 issue of "Corvette Enthusiast" magazine; has lots of photos, explains in detail how it all works, and references sources for restoration/replacement of the hydraulic system components. :)

:beer

Thanks Tom I will look to see what I can find on his car

John

I just went thru all my CE mags and I dont have that one , some ones car I know must of have been featured in it and I gave away my copy , Do you have the article you could email me or I will see about ordering a copy for him

Thanks Larry

Thanks Tom I will look to see what I can find on his car

John

I just went thru all my CE mags and I dont have that one , some ones car I know must of have been featured in it and I gave away my copy , Do you have the article you could email me or I will see about ordering a copy for him

Thanks Larry

Larry, I don't have a .pdf of that article with the photos, but if you call the Customer Service desk (800-448-3611), you can order a back issue. Other than the info in the ST-12, I don't think anything else of substance has ever been written on C1 power tops - that's why I wrote it. :)

:beer

Larry
I have the Nov.'07 issue and would be happy to scan the article for you if you would like.
Just email or PM me if you need it and also include your email address if you want me to scan it and send it to you

Barry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom