Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Going to need some help with door issues

PokerJoker

Corvette
Hello all,

The car is running great after the engine swap, rebuild on the trans and new front suspension parts. ECM still working and no Check Engine Light :)

But now, drivers side window won't come down, door lock have never worked (since I've owned the car), but with this heat...I need to be able to roll the windows down to drive it...so...
I took off the door panel, and it looks like a mess and I don't know where to start.

1. Wire connector going to door lock switch is broken (gray wire is disconnected/or broken) whole connector looks pretty rough. The pins on the actual switch are very corroded. Pulled the connector off the actuator and jumped it. It seemed like it wanted to do something but would not unlock/lock the door.
2. The rod that comes out of the armrest is missing, so I've got one on the way...but I'm not sure what it connects to.
3. Tapped on the window motor with small hammer and it actually started to work, but not great...and only a few times before it quit again.
4. Reached down into the bottom of the door and found a broken regulator gear spring...center broken out. Can this spring be replaced without removing the regulator?
5. Outside door handle has a crack in it, so I want to replace it.

Where to start first or does it even matter?

Thanks for any advice.
Jeff

#1 door locks...the other side needs to be hooked up as well
in order for the locks to work....

#2 I'll check and see where mine connects to....

#3 Do you have a couple of electrical leads??? if so you can run a jumper
from each side of the battery to see if it works.

#4 new regulator....

...I took off the door panel, and it looks like a mess...

Define "mess". Post a pic.

...Wire connector going to door lock switch is broken (gray wire is disconnected/or broken)...

You can purchase a replacement pigtail for the harness. Splices in.

...whole connector looks pretty rough. The pins on the actual switch are very corroded...

Clean thiigs up the best you can.

...The rod that comes out of the armrest is missing, so I've got one on the way...but I'm not sure what it connects to....

Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM). The AIM has assembly diagrams of everything in and on the door, including the lock rod, lists the original GM part numbers, and often has notes about the installation.

...found a broken regulator gear spring...center broken out. Can this spring be replaced without removing the regulator?...

Not much room to work with the regulator in the door. Might be best to do this on the bench.

...Outside door handle has a crack in it, so I want to replace it....

Can you live with what you have? Exterior door handles can be hard to reach. The AIM shows the installation. Look it over and get an idea of what you'll be up against.

:thumb

pictures

Thanks guys,

Here are some pictures I took. I'm not sure what the silver bracket is at the lower left side of the door. I checked the right side door and the push/pull locking rod is missing on it as well.

Jeff

Attachments

• door lock wires 3.jpg
    door lock wires 3.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 160
  • door lock wires close-up.jpg
    door lock wires close-up.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 186
  • door panel inside 1.jpg
    door panel inside 1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 154
  • door panel inside.jpg
    door panel inside.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 288
  • left door 1.jpg
    left door 1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 146
  • left door 2.jpg
    left door 2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 253
  • left door bracket.jpg
    left door bracket.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 185
Good news, took off the right side door panel and the rod going through the armrest was still there. I just couldn't see it. so at least I know where and how it hooks up.

In my opinion the best thing you can do is take everything out, clean and replace parts then start reassembly.

Greetings Peter

I agree with Peter!!!!!
:upthumbs

To answer your question,Yes you have to remove the glass.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom