Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Good Jacking Points

rallemandi

Corvette
1981 Coupe
Hi - I've got an 81 and I'm always nervous about where to put my floor jack. Where do you place the jack?

Behind the front wheels on the frame where it straightens out and in front of the rear wheels on the frame. I believe they are the jack spots in the owners manual.

If you just want to raise the front end you can use the crossmember. Just make sure the jack is centered and always use jack stands. I have used the center of the frame rails under the door to lift both wheels on the same side and if you need to raise the rear end you can place the jack under the differential. You can't hurt it. I can't say it enough, use jack stands even if you are not going under the car. Jacks do fail.

...If you just want to raise the front end you can use the crossmember...

FWIW: GM recommends not jacking beneath the C3 crossmember; the crossmember can dent since it is not intended to support the weight of the car. That said, jacking beneath the crossmember is a common, although ill-advised, practice. There is an aftermarket repair kit intended to work the dent out of the crossmember after the gaff has been made.

:thumb

Problem is yhat people jack under the horizontal part of the chassis (the weakest part) jack it near the edge under or near the vertical part of the crossmember. It's just simple construction logic and lets you safely jack the vette under the crossmember :)

Greetings Peter

As Peter said place the jack under the front edge of the cross member. I have been doing that for more than 40 years and have never dented one. Sorry I was not that explicit with my first response.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom