Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

good stuff

Corvette
2001 navy 'vert
Good afternoon fellas

Someone mentioned that a lot of things on the forum are bad things people are looking for help to fix. Take for instance, theres a whole pile of threads talking about the bad steering column lock. A lot of us are worried about getting stuck somewere, and maybe we should be.
I just bought a 2001 6 spd with only 2900 miles on it, and the only recall thats been done is the first reprogram. A guy in Minneapolis whose been making a living fixing Corvettes since 1963. told me not to worry as long as the reprogram was done. What i would like to know is how many of us have never HAD a problem with the column lock??

Rod,
Since you're asking about a 2001, I'm going to move this thread to the C5 General Discussion section. Hang on, this won't take long. ;)

-Patrick

All In One Visit

Rod,

I got both recalls. However, my dealer was on top of the problem and did the entire job on the first visit. In other words they did the reprograming and disabled the locking mechanism.

Remo:cool

I have not had any problem, but I'm not going to say so on this forum because it may jinx me!! :chuckle:chuckle

An article in one of the Corvette Magazines said that there are two kinds of Corvettes susceptible to the dreaded column lock, those that have had it locked up and repaired and those that will have the problem in the future, even with the dealer fix. Needless to say, I had the first "fix" done by the dealer and the column locked later. Had the second "fix" done by the dealer, but once bitten, I decided to install the CLB from Corvettes of Houston. Easy install, and I don't worry about it. Your choice, but I would not chance it. My $0.02 worth.
Barrett

Not so sure I would take advice from a guy who makes his living fixing GMs mistakes :cool. Job security comes to mind like "don't worry about it and when it brakes I'll fix it for half the price"! The only sure way to avoid having this type of an issue is to bypass the whole system, there are to many fail prone components in it and addressing one component at a time was proved to be unreliable. Yes I had all the recalls done and yes I got stranded on the road afterword. Stranded twice and $1k in towing charges + dealer costs could have been prevented by a $50.00 CLB which I had to install anyway. Choice is yours, good luck.

Well guys, you talked me into installing a CLB, but one thing i don't quite understand is, i'm not 100% sure that the first GM recall was the only thing done, i'm almost sure though. Regardless of what has been done , all i do is follow the instructions and plug in the CLB? Thats it?
Not to worry removing the locking ring, or worrying about the fuel shutoff??

I just got comfortable with my '93 after 5 years, and now a newer more complicated 2001....geez....

thanks

Rod

HI there,
Just remember, battery voltage is 85% of the issue here on column lock.
As was mentioned above, once the accurate repair from GM is done, its a non issue, AS LONG AS THE TECHNICIAN KNOWS WHAT HES DOING!!!!!!
Allthebest, c4c5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom