Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Gotta repaint the hood now, and other things

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
:mad

Okay, remind me this is all about having fun.

Sharkcar71 was over this weekend and gave me a hand tweaking the puter on the 69. We took it out for a little thrashing afterwards. The Edelbrock Pro-Flow EFI is soooo easy to tune it will blow your mind.

Here is the bad part.

#1, I had my air cleaner stud too high, and it appears to have gotten into the hood. I have a nice little crack just above it in the paint. It is not touching the hood, but I assume the sucking of the engine and movement of the engine allowed the two to make contact.

#2, I have a nasty oil leak that continues to tick me off. I assume at this point it is a rear main seal.

#3, The driver door latch decided to stay in the "open" position and it makes it hard to close the door. This will be about the 100th time I have had to have the driver door panel off.

#4......well, I don't have a #4 yet, but I am sure it is brewing out there.

So, I will yank the hood for a complete strip, repair, and paint. I am considering painting the power buldge part in a dark metalic grey, or let my buddy that does custom stuff go ahead and toss some ghost flames in there. Not really sure yet.

I will have to yank the oil pan and put in a new rear main seal. I guess I can get this started with the hood off.

The door, well, I just have to pull it apart again.

Hey, at least the Vintage A/C pumped freaky cold air while we were cruising around in the near 100 degree weather yesterday.

Remind me again, this is all about the fun.......

69MyWay said:
Remind me again, this is all about the fun.......

It's all about having fun Chris. ;)

I've got a bothersome leak too, but at least it isn't the rear seal (at least I hope it isn't), it's a coolant leak. We took care of the coolant leaks on the intake/head mating surfaces, and the thermostat housing, so that part of the engine is dry as a bone. Underneath however, it is a different story.

When I first saw the puddle, I thought it was oil because the Dexcool is orange and appears similar to clean oil, but when the Oil-Sorb didn't suck it up I knew it was coolant. Now we've gotta get it in the air to see where the leaks originates.

And I'm STILL getting Code 33. :eyerole

_ken :w

I think the grey on the bulge would look really nice, maybe someone could do it in Photoshop or something so you could "preview" it?

Keep at it, you've come so far!! :)

Alright, I am getting LAZY now. After priding myself in doing 98% of the work myself on my car, I dropped the hood, gas door, and upper fender moldings with my buddy at (First Coast Paint and Body) last night to repair the hood and paint it all back in black for me. Nikki does not put her foot down that often, but she poh poohed the dark grey power buldge color.

So, it should be ready in about a week or so, and that will give me time to chase other problems.

I am going to epoxy a aluminum shield in the upper part of the hood to make sure that the engine stays out of the fiberglass.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom