Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: GPS/Nav system question...

metfish

Greetings all.....I am getting ready to buy my first C6, probably a 2009 or 2010 and I notice the majority of
the ones I find for sale do not have the factory installed GPS/Nav systems. The stock radio/CD player is kind
of mundane looking, which is no deal breaker for me, but does anybody know why so many buy the Vette w/o
the fancy system?

I suspect there are not a lot of people that buy Vettes for cross country trips, that coupled with the
fact that all of our phones have some sort of GPS system in them anyway could be the reason I guess.

Also, if I go w/ the stock system, do I have MP3 plug in capability?

Thanks for any info!

:welcome First, welcome to the CAC.

I have 2 C6's and both have the NAV system installed. Usually, when I talk to folks at shows and other places, they point out that their "Tom Tom", "iPhone", or whatever they have, is a $1000 dollars cheaper and they can move it from car to car. Their GPS/Nav is easier to use, they can change the destinition while driving (another distraction from driving) - the installed Nav will not let you do that - it's a distraction from driving.
I can understand the cost difference and the ability to move a portable GPS/Nav application from one car to another. Hard to argue with that.
Easier to use - maybe but that usually comes down to already being familiar with what they have. Which leads me to say that many people already have portable GPS/Nav units, so they don't see the need to order the factory installed GPS/Nav system.
Another cost issue is that GM want $199+ for each upgrade Nav disk for the car.

I didn't order the factory GPS/Nav knowing that I would be using my Garmin. It has a 4.5" screen and lifetime map updates for 179.00 at Costco. I found a really nice mount that attaches to the AC vent on the center of the dash on Amazon fir 18.95. The difference in cost alone will pay for a lot of the miles that the Garmin will lead me down!!

:beer

Thanks for the info guys, that helps a lot! I did not know GM wanted so much for an annual data base download. I get those
free on my Android device. One more question, is the vehicle blue tooth equipped, so you can hear your calls through
the speakers, or is that something that only comes w/ the upgraded system?

Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom